Emulator Problem: Wii/gamecube emulator on pc with i7.

Pargadox

Hey, what can i do to make full use of my i7-3770k cpu in the emulators? Cause it has 4 cores (8 threads) at 3.5ghz stock clock, and some games still lag at 40% cpu usage.. how can i boost this?

garrlker

Try overclocking it to around 4.2 to 4.4ghz. At that speed you will run every game perfect. It could be your gpu bottlenecking your cpu. Also, what are the rest of your system specs and dolphin revision? What games lag? And if you overclock I suggest you buy an aftermarket cooler.

Pargadox

Try overclocking it to around 4.2 to 4.4ghz. At that speed you will run every game perfect. It could be your gpu bottlenecking your cpu. Also, what are the rest of your system specs and dolphin revision? What games lag? And if you overclock I suggest you buy an aftermarket cooler.

Can't.. Every of my OC attempt has failed.

garrlker

How are you overclocking then? And how is it failing? Are you going into the bios or software overclocking? Is the computer unstable with overclocking? Does your mobo support OC? I need more info. Also, what revision are you using and what are the rest of your system specs?

Pargadox

I am overclocking by setting the multiplayer and blk. Have tried to set upo to 4.6ghz but the overclock fails no matter what i set the voltage to. Seems it works with stock volt, but its not recommended..

i7-3770k
asus sabertooth z77
16gb 1333mhz ddre from kingston

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
When it comes to emulation overclock the multiplier only. These days you can overclock each component anyways so be safe and stick with the part your are overclocking.

step one get the cpu as high as you can with no voltage tuning remaining stable. ( test with a bench mark )
2) get HWMonitorPro64 and bring the temps way down. I dont know i7's well sorry.
3) over clock till stable again. With an i7 you should be in good shape with no voltage tuning
4) mess with the voltage if needed.

Needs
1) get a case like a cool master.
2) get a haf fan ( water is silly IMO but go that way if you like )
3) repeat steps above.

an i7 will not play dolphin perfect but comes damn close. Most other emulators will run fine. If you want the best option get a sandy bridge.