Sorry for bumping the old thread but I would like to add some cents. The best way to avoid infecting your PC is to buy or download games only from official websites such as Steam or directly from the website of the developer. If you use uTorrent or any other websites that offer downloading games or software you risk to get viruses and it is not a secret. And sometimes it will not be enough to have the installed antivirus. Sometimes they do not help and even bring more problems than viruses and it cna be hard to uninstall them. So the only way I see is to buy the game at store and install it or download it from official websites.
Agree with the post above. To speak shortly I can recommend:
- avoid visiting the websites that offer different games and software, especially if they ask you to sign in and leave your personal data or pay for a subscription or something else;
- visit official games and software websites to download or official distributors of games such as Steam
- Install any antivirus software. There is no matter if it will be free of paid. Just read more about such software as TotalAV vs Norton or any other software and choose the best one for your needs.
- try to use incognito mode when you are searching for something. You decrease the chance to be spammed by different websites.
- do not use torrents and torrent-related websites