tutorial video if you could...

tridententry

Would somebody please make a video on youtube showing (in english) how to use any of the following programs:

clrMAMEpro
uCON64
goodsnes

Basically what I want to do is to verify my roms; by that I mean to make sure they are what they say they are so "Mario (E) [!]" is from Europe and a completely faithful dump, not hacked.

I just can't figure out any of the programs, I have researched a lot online into all of them and read the provided tutorials but every time I try it, nothing works :(

I suppose what I want to do is possible with at least one of these programs? I am more of a GUI man, so something like uCON64 would need the GUI layer for me to understand it.

Just to cap off all I want is to make sure the rom is complete, un-hacked and from a certain region.

Thanks in advance!!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Your best bet would be to dump the game yourself.
And read rule #1: http://forums.emulator-zone.com/rules.php

Again no rules have been broken, discussion of where or how to obtain roms is prohibited, discussion of roms themselves, how to get them running, how to audit, manipulate or other wise manage them is not. I would suggest perhaps you follow your own advice and have a read of the rules again yourself as you have clearly misinterpreted them.

In response to the original question I would recommend having a try with romcenter if you are finding other rom managers problematic. There are some good how to's and stuff on the homepage. In just about all cases, roms using the goodtools naming conventions like (E)(!) etc will be accurately reported as the correct game and version.
For a key to what the various bracketed codes mean click HERE. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tridententry

I have tried romcentre and although I have found a new tutorial I am sure it'll cause me problems. The real problem is that I am a Mac User, romcenter is for windows and so keeping roms in a database is not much of an option. The export of files is best.

I did however stumble upon some new programs recomended by zsnes emulator:

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/snesaud.html

NSRT caught my eye, I am surprised they evaded me for so long. Fixing something that's broken is a top priority, because one just doesn't know. I will post a tutorial and make it very simple and thorough. But I would have liked to post a tutorial for all of the programs.

I posted one about DOSbox (if your familiar with that) and it was the same learning process, its got good views and some feedback, you know, silly questions like mine. So I absolutely know how it is at both ends.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yep, although if the rom in question already has a goodtools name then the version you have is already verified. So anything with a country code followed by the (!) symbol is a verified good dump. Nowadays its only really arcade roms that are redumped, manipulated or changed with any regularity, anything else should be exactly what it says it is.

tridententry

Ah but that's just it, I haven't done a goodtools dump, I have something that I have not yet looked into. That's why I need help, I need ot see how these tools work.

Okay I just tried SMC file checker with the "/S" operator and it revealed the coresponding details of the game as it should, that being the name and region but I have to do a little more to understand what tale tale signs are for an un-hacked file..

I miss DOS a little you know..

tridententry

I decided to settle upon using NSRT, a brilliant piece of kit for what I want. Finally I found something which will do what I want and then I can make my video :)

After I will have to look for tools to verify DMG GB, NES, CGB and VB, but until then I can even play with the GUI frontend that accompanies NSRT v3.4!

Thanks for the help.

sleazodog

Again no rules have been broken, discussion of where or how to obtain roms is prohibited, discussion of roms themselves, how to get them running, how to audit, manipulate or other wise manage them is not. I would suggest perhaps you follow your own advice and have a read of the rules again yourself as you have clearly misinterpreted them.

My apologies. I get a little overzealous sometimes. It won't happen again:eek: