That FF7/ePSXe Disc 2 Freeze Again

Marignano

As has happened several times before, I encountered a repeatable crash/freeze on the 2nd CD of Final Fantasy 7, when Bugenhagen drops the key into the hole and you try to watch the scene on the waterfall. I've tried a lot of the fixes already suggested on their forum, but none have worked yet.

Problem details: When I go towards the center of the waterfall and the screen changes, the music slows notably down and the scene just doesn't load. With some driver/emulator settings I get a crash here instead of a freeze. Some combinations of settings, I can advance marginally further this way: Immediately after entering the center waterfall screen, where the error happens, I run down/right out of the screen. The background NOW appears and immediately fades out. If I run back in, then I get Bugenhagen's text box and then a hard freeze.

Machine/Software details:
ePSXe 1.60
Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
European version of the game
More than beefy enough hardware; radeon 9800, P4, a gig of memory, etc etc

Fixes tried:
Monkeyed with driver settings as best I know how; includes enabling any Special Game Fixes that looked useful for FF7.
Changed to following drivers: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76, Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, PeOps Soft Driver 1.17.
Changed to ePSXe 1.52 and retried with the OpenGL2 driver.
Changed BIOS from NTSC to PAL.
Burned the ISO to a CD and tried on 1.52 and 1.60. Did not work, but I got the following error and a crash instead of a freeze: SPEC Opcode 34 UNK (PC 00000874) (00000080) (5636612,108) which is so much gobbledygook to me.
Transferred memory card file to PSXeven, and got a crash with the following error: ERROR: Reserved opcode being called : 0xFE000FFE !!!! @0x80000088
-- emu released due to error --

I have save state files and memory card files for either emulator immediately (save state is right on the screen before the freeze, memory card file is closest save spot ~3 screens off) before the problem happens.

My theory is this, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix it, which is why I'm coming to you guys: The background won't display unless I'm leaving the screen and it's fading out, as noted above. For that reason I think something's going on in the waterfall background of this screen that's making the emulator go haywire.

I'll be very upset if I have to discard the 25 hours of playtime I've put in so far. :(

montpics

Use other plugins such as P.E.Op.S Soft Driver to try it out. :)

Marignano

Marignano said:
As has happened several times before, I encountered a repeatable crash/freeze on the 2nd CD of Final Fantasy 7, when Bugenhagen drops the key into the hole and you try to watch the scene on the waterfall. I've tried a lot of the fixes already suggested on their forum, but none have worked yet.

Problem details: When I go towards the center of the waterfall and the screen changes, the music slows notably down and the scene just doesn't load. With some driver/emulator settings I get a crash here instead of a freeze. Some combinations of settings, I can advance marginally further this way: Immediately after entering the center waterfall screen, where the error happens, I run down/right out of the screen. The background NOW appears and immediately fades out. If I run back in, then I get Bugenhagen's text box and then a hard freeze.

Machine/Software details:
ePSXe 1.60
Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
European version of the game
More than beefy enough hardware; radeon 9800, P4, a gig of memory, etc etc

Fixes tried:
Monkeyed with driver settings as best I know how; includes enabling any Special Game Fixes that looked useful for FF7.
Changed to following drivers: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76, Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, PeOps Soft Driver 1.17.
Changed to ePSXe 1.52 and retried with the OpenGL2 driver.
Changed BIOS from NTSC to PAL.
Burned the ISO to a CD and tried on 1.52 and 1.60. Did not work, but I got the following error and a crash instead of a freeze: SPEC Opcode 34 UNK (PC 00000874) (00000080) (5636612,108) which is so much gobbledygook to me.
Transferred memory card file to PSXeven, and got a crash with the following error: ERROR: Reserved opcode being called : 0xFE000FFE !!!! @0x80000088
-- emu released due to error --

I have save state files and memory card files for either emulator immediately (save state is right on the screen before the freeze, memory card file is closest save spot ~3 screens off) before the problem happens.

My theory is this, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix it, which is why I'm coming to you guys: The background won't display unless I'm leaving the screen and it's fading out, as noted above. For that reason I think something's going on in the waterfall background of this screen that's making the emulator go haywire.

I'll be very upset if I have to discard the 25 hours of playtime I've put in so far. :(

I've tried the Peops driver, Pete's drivers, the original ISO, a CD, and- just last night, for kicks- a second ISO made from the CD I made from the original ISO.

montpics

Other side note, did you try pec by the time you play the game? If you do, then don't use that plugin.

RockY

L H D T P M
I dunno probably the CD2 is just messed up, if you can download it again from other source do it. Or... if you have the original CD just try making a clean ISO.

By the other hand, if you can't get it working, you should try the PC version, I guess the quality is not that good but it's great anyway.