Sound questions on Mame games

journeyfan1977

Does anybody who has Streetfighter Alpha 1, 2, and 3 have lower sound than other games? I hit "F2" and the volume appears to be at maximum on the settings. Are some games lower in sound regardless if the sound is set all the way up compared to others? As for the sound scratchiness on the Mortal Kombat games, will buying a new sound card correct that problem? If so, what is the best sound card available for my Dell Optiplex? Or is this a memory/processor speed problem?

-Keith

hagbard

Some Qsound CPS games like SFA sound lower than most games, this is normal. The sound crackling problem on MK might be because the PC is not fast enough for that games. You can confirm by hitting "F11" to enable the FPS display, if doesn't get 100% then you know the problem. Also if the sound it's old this could slowdown. Some Mame builds work faster like Mame32Plus and the CPU optimized versions.

journeyfan1977

So the speed of games is strictly dependent on CPU speed correct? And a better sound card won't ,make a difference? I also had another question...I sent my nephew a CD-R with my Mame and roms and he says the screen goes black when he tries to open the game...except it stays black. He says he has a new computer. I sent him Mame version 0.98 and all my roms are 100% working on my Dell PC. What's causing this?

-Keith

hagbard

A new sound card would improve speed only if you got an old one, like Sound Blaster 128 PCI or older.

About running Mame on other PC, better run the emulator from the Hard Disk not from CD, and change the rompath to match the CD/DVD-ROM drive and folder where that ROMs are located.