Some N64 console questions

PhatPlaya

O.G. (Original Gamer)
Im planning on buying a second-hand N64 online so I can play Zelda: OOT (I LOVE THAT GAME) :D
Yea i know i could just play it on Project 64 but it doesnt feel the same and besides i usually only get on the console when im not doing something important on here.

So to get to the point i just wanna kno wat the best deal is to look for (im planning to buy a mint condition console that comes with the cables, a rumble pak and 1 controller, then buy the game separately).
So with buying the game, theres the different versions that were released with bug fixes and changes. Wat is the best release to look for? (from wat i read most gray carts should be version 1.2 and gold carts either 1.0 or 1.1 but does it rlly matter much?)

And wat about saving, do u need the controller pak i honestly cant remember.

Thanks for ur help :eek:

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
Froogle or Ebay :D

here in our country we have an ADS newspaper that sells a lot of stuff 'buy & sell'

from cars tv's suv's boats houses consoles everything.
regarding condition since 64 is a bit old, you can get lucky finding something in awesome condition, of course, they will work, then again, 64 is old :) so you know what to expect [UNLESS IT'S STILL ON THe BOX and STILL SEALED]

:D :p grab doc64 too :p

nonlinear

I have a N64 console with 4 controllers, but it's been sitting in my closet for about 5 or 6 years. The problem is that I left all of my games (i olny had like 6) at a friends place about 10 drive from here, and I don't think i'll ever see them again :( they were all the good games too.

it would be great if a company would make a cartridge that you could load roms onto and plug it into the console... anyone know if this typoe of thing exists?

EDIT: well, it looks like this sort of thing does exist :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD64 this one runs roms off a cd-rom though, which i think is stupid... ima look around for something flash based and order one of these!

Last edited:

nonlinear

dude, how much are you willing to spend on a console? you could go the eBay route as suggested above, but if you do this you could risk getting a beat up piece of shit that some 4 year old kids used to throw around at eachother...

anyhow, on my short quest for a N64 rom backup device, i came across this page which has a mint looking transparent blue Japaneese n64 console with a controller for 49 pounds. the nice thing about this system is that the guy looks like an uber vidreo game dork and has prolly refurbished and cleaned the thing so it's in like new condition. worht a look anyhow http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/n64/n64.htm

EDIT: sorry, i'm a fucking idiot who can't read. it's for jap games and power. sorry dude.

Last edited:

PhatPlaya

O.G. (Original Gamer)
Im gettin it off TradeMe and theres a couple still in the box but wat i wanted 2 know was DO I NEED THE CONTROLLER PAK TO SAVE MY GAME ON ZELDA: OOT? Cos otherwise i can save a few bucks.

And Leerz wat is doc64?

Last edited:

nonlinear

not sure about the controller pak (take 30 seconds and use google!), but you will need the memory expansion pak that plugs into the console.

PhatPlaya

O.G. (Original Gamer)
I tried man i cant think of the right words to put into Google lol
does the memory expansion come with the console wen its brand new or do u hav to buy it separately?

Last edited:

spotanjo3

the memory expansion is already emulated into project 64. There are somewhere in the options to enable it because it allowed me to save the games

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
EDIT: well, it looks like this sort of thing does exist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD64 this one runs roms off a cd-rom though, which i think is stupid... ima look around for something flash based and order one of these!
isn't this what I've said? and NO!, it's NOT stupid.
you're saying that coz you have no Idea what those things are :)
from that time, flash media isn't that widely available, usually expensive.
that's why manufacturers resorted into CD's and Zip Drives.

flash roms were available for expansion of the gb/gbc, of course games for those handhelds didn't require much memory so the manufacturing price isn't that huge compared with 8-64meg requirement of the standard n64 games

phat said:
And Leerz wat is doc64?
Typo, it's Docv64 / Docv64 Jr, it's undoubtly the BEST compared with cd64 and those stuff using zip drives!

Last edited:

PhatPlaya

O.G. (Original Gamer)
Ok but can some1 answer my question. Do i need the memory/save pak or does Zelda save ur progress on the cart?

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
Ok but can some1 answer my question. Do i need the memory/save pak or does Zelda save ur progress on the cart?

wait, lemme check what save type Zelda Has, oh btw, which Zelda Game were you talking about!?

-ZOOT
here are the game details

Code:
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The  	CIC-NUS-6105  	FlashRAM  
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The 	CIC-NUS-6105 	SRAM
credits to Elitendo.com

'read Spoiler if you wish
Spoiler »

if you were refering to playing them on the console with help of those docv64 expansions, you'll need
-zelda = Zelda-Type CIC Bootchip. (CIC-6105 or CIC-7105)
[basically means, you should have a cart that has the same cic, of course, you can patch it so it would boot on other Carts that has that savetype

e.g.

Code:
Super Smash Bros.  	CIC-NUS-6103  	SRAM
You patch it so it would work on the 6103 cic so it could use the SRAM for proper saving.

I hope I'm not too confusing and I hope I got your question right,
well if I didn't then this whole post is pointless :)

--re read your question, no, you don't need those save 'memory card/paks'
zoot saves the game on Sram 'afaik' it's those things with batteries

[same thing used on old zelda/link games on the nes]

Last edited:

nonlinear

isn't this what I've said? and NO!, it's NOT stupid.
you're saying that coz you have no Idea what those things are :)
from that time, flash media isn't that widely available, usually expensive.
that's why manufacturers resorted into CD's and Zip Drives.

flash roms were available for expansion of the gb/gbc, of course games for those handhelds didn't require much memory so the manufacturing price isn't that huge compared with 8-64meg requirement of the standard n64 games

Typo, it's Docv64 / Docv64 Jr, it's undoubtly the BEST compared with cd64 and those stuff using zip drives!

sorry :) yea, i have no idea what they are, haven't read much about the except that thery're for backing up cames. when i meant when i said stupid is that the CD will introduce lead time, which is one of the primary advantages of cartridges (along with durability). do ou have any suggestoins for what i can use?

thanks

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
sorry :) yea, i have no idea what they are, haven't read much about the except that thery're for backing up cames. when i meant when i said stupid is that the CD will introduce lead time, which is one of the primary advantages of cartridges (along with durability). do ou have any suggestoins for what i can use?

thanks

regarding read time, No, it will only have to be done once, after it's loaded on the docv64's RAM, the docv64 will act as 'Cartridge' meaning after 'loading' the game from the CD it'll will be just the same as Playing on the cartridge. absolutely no 'read time laggs'