SMA4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 Issues

poirot84

I want to play this game however I keep getting this message:

"You saved data is corrupted"

What can I do to resolve this problem?​

Aceblade

I reccomend getting a new rom, or going to options -> emulator on VBA and changing save type to Flash 128k. and also, delete your old SAV file for the game.

Jale

I had this problem before. It has nothing to do with the ROM (I say the ROM is fine). Just switch between the save types to the one that works.

noel-30rp

in the VBA emulator, you MUST select Flash 128k in the Save Type section for SMA4 ROM to work. I know 'cause I got it to work on the second attempt, not the first. But first delete your old .SAV file for the SMA4 rom if it exists, set the Save Type to Flash 128k (also have the Automatic option checked), then load the SMA4 rom and it will create a new SAV file and the game should run normally the rest of the way. if you don't delete your old SAV file for the SMA4 rom and not let VBA create a new one after selecting the "correct" save type option, you could get persistent save data corrupt errors.

for no$gba, I think you need a gba.rom file (the gba bios file) for sma4 to work correctly with no$gba. otherwise no$gba may crash with the sma4 rom loaded. no need to select save type options as no$gba can correctly set the save type. but the gba.rom bios file is very important and needs to be stored in the same folder as the no$gba emulator.

also, use the latest official versions of either VBA (1.72) or no$gba (2.6 or 2.6a) available.

Last edited:

noel-30rp

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

All hail noel-30rp, he did it!​

thanks. although it was Aceblade's suggestion earlier to change flash save type to Flash 128k in VBA, then get rid of the old SAV file. it's just that I elaborated on the steps to get the SMA4 rom to work.

you have to delete the old sav file so that VisualBoyAdvance can create a brand new sav file with the correct size which should be 128kb for sma4 (assuming the save type is set to flash 128k). if the sav file is smaller than 128k, then the game won't run at all in VBA.

hope this helps out other VBA users with their problems running the SMA4 - SMB3 ROM.