Project64, will any gamepad/controller do?

Conniver

Hi all, I'm new to these forums and Project64.

I've done some SNES retrogaming using a cheap and flimsy Logitech Precision Gamepad, which worked fine though. But for N64 games I don't think it will be good enough. I could probably play through games using it but I also think it's missing some functionality that could make gameplay annoying and difficult. The lack of a Thumbstick (my gamepad only has a D-pad and basic buttons) seems to be the biggest drawback.

So my question is whether any gamepad with a Thumbstick will do for playing N64 games or should I look for other specific functions when shopping for a new controller? I will be playing Zelda OoT first so if that game has specific needs as far as a controller is concerned I would appreciate your help with that as well.

Thanks
-Con

AquaShadow

Hi all, I'm new to these forums and Project64.

I've done some SNES retrogaming using a cheap and flimsy Logitech Precision Gamepad, which worked fine though. But for N64 games I don't think it will be good enough. I could probably play through games using it but I also think it's missing some functionality that could make gameplay annoying and difficult. The lack of a Thumbstick (my gamepad only has a D-pad and basic buttons) seems to be the biggest drawback.

So my question is whether any gamepad with a Thumbstick will do for playing N64 games or should I look for other specific functions when shopping for a new controller? I will be playing Zelda OoT first so if that game has specific needs as far as a controller is concerned I would appreciate your help with that as well.

Thanks
-Con

It can work OK.
Some game does'nt need manny buttons at all.
Some games like zelda uses the most buttons of the n64 controller.
So, if you want to optimize ur gameplay you can buy a new 1.
I use a madcatz game conrtoller:
http://www.madcatz.com/Images2/products/4426.gif
It works fine with n64 games. :)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Ideally you need a pad that has enough inputs to emulate an N64 pad.

Analogue Stick.

D-Pad

8 face buttons

2 shoulder buttons

1 'z' trigger

So 15 inputs plus an analogue stick.

I use a Playstation 2 pad. It takes a little bit of time to get used to the alternative button placement but it works and has enough inputs to cover the same number of buttons. USB Playstation 2 pad converters can be had for around £6 - £7.

Van Halen Man

Coolest person on earth.
I use a Logitec Dual Action controller. It is just like a ps2 controller, and it works perfectly.

Conniver

Thanks for the suggestions Aquashadow and Van Halen Man. And thanks for your list of things to look for in a controller FatTrucker.

Now I have one more question about the analogue/thumb stick. Will it work like it should in the game? With the D-pad I'm using now for movement I can only run or stand still. If I understand correctly then when using a stick you should be able to move slowly if you move the stick only a bit and run if you move it all the way. Does Project64 emulate this function of the stick correctly?

Thanks
-Con