Project64 / MAMEWAH Problem!!

MADNESSTIGER

Hi All,

Been using Emlator-Zone for ages, and only just realised there is a forum!!

Anyway, back to business...

I'm in the process of setting up my various emulators with MameWah and have come to a grinding halt... with Project64!

Project64, when run on it's own works as advertised.. no problems at all. I'm using the new 1.7 version of Project64.

The problem comes when I try to open any N64 game from MameWah:

If I set up with Project64 v1.7 -

I get an error box appear saying "Attempt to open file failed", followed by MameWah crashing / 'not responding'

If I set up with Project64 v1.6 (hacked version) -

I select a game from MameWah, the black box appears saying 'Loading.. (ROM)'... I hear the game music, but the screen freezes at the MameWah slection screen. All this results in a PC restart!

Obviusly, I want to use the latest Project64 version, as it does have alot more fixes incorporated, but just cant get passed the problems mentioned.

I've been googling for the past 2 hours with no joy!

The only thing I can think of is whether the problem will resolve itself when I update my MameWah to the latest version. I am currently using v9.67 so I can use the MameWah Set-Up Tools Program.

Cheers guys... excellent forum you have going here!

Carl

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Copy and paste your project64.ini file for mamewah here. Its probably a commandline issue.

The hacked version obviously supports exit with the Esc key etc, but you should be able to launch any app from mamewah by changing the {nosafelaunch} flag to {safelaunch}.

So your commandline in the pj64.ini in mamewah should read:

[emuexepathhere]\project64.exe [rompath]\[name].[romext]{nodosbox}{safelaunch}

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MADNESSTIGER

Thanks for the quick reply, didn't expect one so soon.

OK, I've copied the main part of the config file for the N64 emulator below. It is currently set up with MaeWah 0.97, and Project64 v1.7.

This set up gives the "Attempt to open file failed" error upon selecting a game from MameWah.

Thanks again.

;MAMEWAH v0.97 EMULATOR 5 CONFIG

;LIST GENERATION SETTINGS
ROM Path = G:\NINTENDO N64\ROMS
ROM Extension = Z64
List Generation Method = 0

;EXECUTION SETTINGS
Emulator Executable = C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROJECT64_1.7.0.49\PROJECT64.EXE
Send ROM Path = True
Send ROM Extension = True
Use Long Filenames = True
Use Quotes around ROM Filenames = False
Show DOS Box = 0
Default Options =
Extra Options #1 =
Extra Options #2 =
Controls.dat Viewer Filename =
Controls.dat Viewer Default Options =
Launch Controls.dat Viewer before Game = True
IPC Filename / Path =

;MISC SETTINGS
Emulator Title = NINTENDO N64
Artwork #1 Image Path = G:\NINTENDO N64\SCREENS
Artwork #2 Image Path = G:\NINTENDO N64\BOXSCANS
Artwork #3 Image Path =
Artwork #4 Image Path =
Artwork #5 Image Path =
Artwork #6 Image Path =
Artwork #7 Image Path =
Artwork #8 Image Path =
Artwork #9 Image Path =
Artwork #10 Image Path =
Artwork #1 Filename to Replace =
Display Clone Info (in Custom Lists) = False

;SCREEN-SAVER SETTINGS
Type = 1
Wrapper Executable =
Wrapper Default Options =

;CUSTOM LIST SETTINGS
List Selected = 0
No. Custom Lists to Display = 50
Cycle Main List = True

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I would definitely recommend using the latest version of mamewah. The file structure has changed quite a bit. Not sure if you can launch pj64 with 0.97 without a commandline wrapper.

Lots of people use it because its compatible with David Butlers mamewah setup program but its, really, really out of date now.

You can download the wrapper from here but I think its only compatible with pj64 1.6 and you need to install it in your pj64 folder then point your mamewah ini at the wrapper exe rather than the pj64 exe.

Another no-brainer but its always best to check. Are your roms zipped or are they unzipped in the Z64 format?. If they are still zipped your rom extension is wrong in the .ini

Last edited:

MADNESSTIGER

Hiya mate.

Yeah, I've just downloaded the latest MameWah tonight and have noticed that the config files have changed somewhat!

I've had a very similar problem with my NeoGeo emu earlier too, so am going to just re-configure everything in the new MameWah I think (got all the documentation from MameWah's website in front of me as I speak!).

Not sure if you can answer this one for me on a final note...

I renamed all my NeoGeo roms earlier using the MameWah set-up tool (the one with the Butler!) from the Romset version to the proper titles (ie. bbstars --> B**eball S**rs). Will the new version of MameWah automatically remember these changes or will I have to type them all out again?!! :(

Thanks for your time. Carl.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
@ Madnesstiger - any renamed roms should remain ok. The new file structure can be tricky and the documentation is f**king awful. If you get stuck give me a shout.

@ Spellsong - Mamewah is a front-end. You still use multiple different emulators, but rather than having to select the emulator you want to use, you simply set them up with mamewah and use it as a front-end for all of them. It allows you to browse all your games from a list and simply press a button to launch the one you want to play. Click the link and scroll down the thread where I've displayed a couple of emulators using Mamewah. LINK.

Last edited:

MADNESSTIGER

Doubt one of those will ever appear... if only it did!

The way I see it, it would be the equivelent of trying to insert a Speccy tape game, a MegaDrive cartridge, a Playstation CD and an arcade game board into a gameboy cartridge slot... it just ain't gonna work!