Playing over the internet

SoulRed12

Hey guys, first post here. Looks like a cool community, I think I'll be sticking around.

Anyways, I've been playing shoddy battle to battle Gen IV pokemon competitively, because I don't really want to buy a ds when pokemon platinum (and hg & ss when they come out) is the only game I'm going to be getting for it. Just seems like a bit of a waste of money. Shoddy was nice at first, but I wanted a bit more substance, as shoddy is really just a stripped down version of pokemon with no animation whatsoever.

So then I had the idea that I might be able to d/l an emulator and play pokemon platinum competitively, using shoddy only for testing purposes. The problem is, I don't know if I can connect to others games through the computer. I've heard from some people that it's possible, but they really aren't any sort of authority on the subject so I thought I'd bring the issue to people who know what they're talking about.

Is there any emulator I can use to connect to the internet while playing a pokemon platinum ROM and trade with and play against others either on their own computer/emulator or on their ds? I searched the forums before my account was approved and I found a few threads saying no, but then I noticed they were from two years ago and strides must surely have been made since then.

So what's the verdict? Thanks to all who can help out! =D

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Still no online support AFAIK. Its unlikely to be a technical issue, more to do with emulators using different methods than a real DS to play the games and connecting to real DS's requires connection via Nintendo's servers which I'm pretty sure will never allow unauthorised emulators.

Since the DS is still commercially available and making money though, if you enjoy the games why not support the industry and actually buy them?.