PCSX2 compatibility intel vs amd

Auron

I had this setup running PCSX2 at 45fps it jumped around alot though from 30 to 60.
Intel core 2 quad 2.66 GhZ
Asus P45 mobo
4gb Ram
500gb HDD
nvidia 9800 GT

Now My cpu fan crapped out therefor frying the cpu or mobo i cant tell which. Either way Im probably going to need a new motherboard and CPU. I am terrible at overclocking so From everything I have been reading it recommends 3.2 Dual Core. So for gaming wise I want to go with a 3.2 Quad Core instead.

I'm seriously considering going with AMD Phenom II 3.2 Quad only because its about 160$. Core i7s are about 800-1000 in that Ghz range. And Core 2 quads are kinda pricey too. Is there a comparison from Intel to amd GHz or are they about the same. Can anyone suggest me a good speed to emulate ps2 games?

Auron

I was planning on it however My motherboard or CPU got fried...or both. The CPU fan port stopped working causing a melt down. Never buying a Arctic cooling freezer again. I think i would rather just avoid overclocking out of fear of destruction and just go with AMD 3.2 quad

PCGAMINGRULES

Ok. First of all do not only consider CPU speed on AMD. Check for the chipset that is really important. Even more since now you have Hybrid cross fire which is the chipset working together with your GPU. I will go with AMD not only because of the price but becasue of the way HyperTransport works. It is oreinted to boost a single process which is opposite to Intel which is much better for multitasking which for gaming does not give anything. Now with DX11 you have the abiltiy to use your GPU DX11 compatible as a co-CPU. But for now I do not think that any emulator will take advantage of that feature. I had to say that intel is more energy efficient.

onewecallgod

Ok. First of all do not only consider CPU speed on AMD. Check for the chipset that is really important. Even more since now you have Hybrid cross fire which is the chipset working together with your GPU. I will go with AMD not only because of the price but becasue of the way HyperTransport works. It is oreinted to boost a single process which is opposite to Intel which is much better for multitasking which for gaming does not give anything. Now with DX11 you have the abiltiy to use your GPU DX11 compatible as a co-CPU. But for now I do not think that any emulator will take advantage of that feature. I had to say that intel is more energy efficient.
If you even knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Intel is faster in almost everything (single and multithreaded applications) clock for clock. Also, chipset is the last thing you'd look at when considering a platform.

PCGAMINGRULES

If you even knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Intel is faster in almost everything (single and multithreaded applications) clock for clock. Also, chipset is the last thing you'd look at when considering a platform.

I should assume that you have no clue about how AMD works which is what I refer in my comment, and that you do not know the difference between 790GX and 770 chipsets and some 690V that you can still out there in some systems. Also that processor are never compared by clock frequency which mean very few in terms of GT/S and Bandwidth. I think that some where you miss the point I was trying to make since when I talk about DX11 it is obvious I am talking about AMD/ATI. Normally power is associated with cost so I hope you know that for the same price there is not any big gap between those brands. Now when we go to GPU it is obvious that ATI rules since the cost per watt out a GPU is always cheaper. For the record I have bth ATI/AMD based systems and Intel/NVIDIA system
If you ever have build or customized any computer I suggest to go a little bit deeper in understanding computer architecture.

onewecallgod

Not going to bother arguing with you because it's really clear that you don't know what you're talking about now (also says the person with 800 Hz RAM). Please, throw out a few more terms like "performance per watt" and AMD chipset names to impress the audience ;)

Also, as an EE, I probably know a lot more about computer architecture than you.

Last edited:

PCGAMINGRULES

Not going to bother arguing with you because it's really clear that you don't know what you're talking about now (also says the person with 800 Hz RAM). Please, throw out a few more terms like "performance per watt" and AMD chipset names to impress the audience ;)

Also, as an EE, I probably know a lot more about computer architecture than you.

Well, if you say that you have not ever misspelled something you would understand that I do not believe that.

Now I need to congratulate you if at your short age you have an EE degree. Nevertheless my computer sciences degree I got it when you were learning how to read and I worked with computers even before you were born. So there are things about computer architecture that now can only be learnt in a class room in a limited and theoretical way but we worked in real life, those are now the foundations of modern computers. That does not mean at all that I can not learn from you, as a matter of fact in my work there is a CNC manager who reports to me, this is not my area of expertise however I have contributed to help in diagnostic machine. So every body can learn from every body. Now about terminology, I am not putting a lot of effort (for me)on trying to write a 'speech' to share ideas that I think any body with the spirit of researching will pick up, I admit that my English is some limited since is not my main language and I never attended a class to learn it, but I will install spell checker to make people like you happy. I do not want to be tough since you almost could be my son but some of you statements does not fit well with an engineer.May be you just like Intel so much and have not spend time and money on AMD. Internet is free so you can check what is the relationship between the chipset and mobos and therefore: RAM, GT/S, Connectivity, Raid, sockets,bandwidth, OC and Hyper-transport (AMD) capabilities, etc. but you already know that.

Good luck in class.

By the way, what audience could be impressed? There is only 4 of us involved in this topic. This is not with any intend to be offensive.

Last edited: