Nintendulator question

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Is there a way, in Nintendulator, to have the display maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio in windowed mode? It seems to be hard coded to maintain the native ratio.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Im not experienced with that emulator, but it seems like its emulation goal is to emulate the hardware, so its only reasonable you can't change a setting like that.

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Im not experienced with that emulator, but it seems like its emulation goal is to emulate the hardware, so its only reasonable you can't change a setting like that.

Is that not accurate though? If you took an actual NES and hooked it up to an NTSC TV, would it not be 4:3? Or did it maintain 8:7? My original hardware is long gone and can't double check that.

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Why not use another emulator?

That's sort of what I'm currently in the process of doing. I used to use Nestopia until I started running into some minor sound glitches with recent hardware. Forget for a moment that I'm trying to adjust the aspect ratio, but I can't find anywhere in Nintendulator that will even let you change the resolution. That seems like it would be a pretty glaring oversight. All you have are the few multipliers in windowed mode, and nothing for fullscreen. It's hard coded at 640x480!

Please realize I am not complaining. I'm simply trying to give this emulator a chance. I heard it has very accurate emulation, which it seems to, and I do not experience any sound glitches with it. Rather than make some random choice, or blindly follow the one I've always used in the past, I'm trying to make a somewhat educated decision here by testing a variety of emulators. I've arrived at Nintendulator, and I'm wondering how to tweak some very basic video settings. If this is not possible, then I will brush one aside and continue looking, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I don't want to discount an otherwise good emulator for something that may easily be fixed.

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Cool :)

My computer is borderline good enough to use it. I've just been using Snes9x for SNES because it's way less strain on my CPU. One question about using bsnes for NES emulation though... is there a way to set a custom palette? I know there's some debate as to what is accurate and what is not as compared to the original NES, but it would be nice to use a palette I'm used to.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I don't think it supports custom palettes, I never gotten around to mess around with them. I guess the only thing to do is to try it. The most recent release plays roms a little differently, it took about 10 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on, but it explained it on byuu's website.

Saucerful

Avid Fan
I don't think it supports custom palettes, I never gotten around to mess around with them. I guess the only thing to do is to try it. The most recent release plays roms a little differently, it took about 10 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on, but it explained it on byuu's website.

Yeah, I asked byuu directly. Apparently the palette is computed using some algorithm, rather than a static set of values, so it can't be customized.