Newbie needs help

DeksOneBx

Hello all, I was refered to this site by a friend and so far it seems pretty awesome. I have a tiny bit of experience using emulators in the past, I used one for NES called Nestical a few years back. But a few years in the computer world means a world of difference. So here is my situation, with Christmas comming up I was thinking of a neat gift for my older brother. I've always come up with really great gifts for him, not always the most expensive but the most thoughtful. This year I want to go retro with the holiday(I am 30, he is 35 btw) , I got him a couple of old school G.I. Joe figures, a six pack of Zima, and I want to do something in the way of video games. At first I looked into a system called the Retron 3, it is a system that plays all games from the NES, SNES, and the Genesis. The problem with this is you have to buy actual cartridges as well as controllers from each system, it looked to bee too pricey for me. So the friend that refered me here suggested Emulators and Roms for him. So these are some questions I have, first being the obvious generic questions of what emulators are best for NES and Genisis? I am looking at JNES and Fusion so far. Secondly is it possible to put the emulator and roms onto a flash drive for him and hand that over as the gift? If so, about how many roms can fit on say a 32 gig flash drive stick with the emulator? If this can be done at all, can the emulator run right off the flash drive? Or would he download it to his PC off the drive and install it? Playing off the flash drive would seem more ideal and convinent to me if it is possible. That's pretty much it, will post if I think of anything else, and thanks in advance for any replys.
Thanks, sorry for the Wall-o-text lol.

DeksOneBx

TL;DR

-Can Emulators and ROMs be stored on Flash Drive?
-If so, can they run right off of that drive, or must you install them on a HD?
-Recomended NES and Genisis emulators?

Ty again.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really not going to read your first post but I'll hep at your second.

Yes, emulators can be stored on flash drives so you can take them with you. Recommended ones? Gens for Genesis and RockNES for NES.

montpics

Lefty had answered most of your main questions. No need for me to answer the same questions except for the last one. ;)

My recommendation :
Kega Fusion for Sega Genesis
FCEU Ultra for NES