N64 to USB revisited

KillerQ

Hey all,

I have an original, black, n64 controller...

After reading, i now realize that there is an actual brand name of "adaptoid" that seemed to have made the best plug-n-play USB adapter for N64 controllers.

Now, I have also seem generic versions of this. Does anyone here have experience with the generic ones? I don't care about rumble pack support. I just want all of the buttons to work.

Do the generic auto configure? Also, besides the Original Adaptoid - so ANY generic ones allow two controllers to be used at the same time (2 player games, etc)...Please share...

Here are the ones I see around -- any input? What are the BOOM ones that PJ64 recommends?

Store #1
STORE

Thanks -- and hopefully this thread helps others as well.

spotanjo3

Why don't you go to wal-mart and they have an adapter for ps2/gamecube/xbox in one adapter. It work great for me. It's only 10 dollars. :D

edit: Yes, gamecube works wonder for n64 emulator. It is way better than n64 controller. :p

Last edited:

KillerQ

Rockman,

Ya know...i may be interested in using the gamecube controller with the walmart adapter in place of the n64 controller an questionable adapter with my n64 emulator instead... You said that's what you do, correct? I am using Project64, by the way....

Any hints on how to configure the GC controller in the emulator settings so it's similar in layout to the 64 controller....

I really appreciate your help and time, as this would save me a lot of worry and hassle... Do they still sell those adapters at Walmart? One most importantly - If i want to play two player, could i use two gamecube controllers and 2 gamecube adapters on the computer at the same time?

I can see how these would be "compatible"

***Edit*** I just thought of something -- do you think (if you use Project 64) that you could be so kind as to save your controller profile that you have setup for your Gamecube controller and email the file to me? That way, I could simply load it into mine and save all the explaining!! My email is KillerQ97@aol.com

n64a55f53ux9.jpg

gccontrollera23302mr0.jpg

Thanks,

Matt!

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Rockman,

Ya know...i may be interested in using the gamecube controller with the walmart adapter in place of the n64 controller an questionable adapter with my n64 emulator instead... You said that's what you do, correct? I am using Project64, by the way....

Yes, That's what I do. I am using Project64 as well. :)

Any hints on how to configure the GC controller in the emulator settings so it's similar in layout to the 64 controller....

You will just configure the GC controller in the emulator settings like a 64 controler. There is no complicate. :)

Look:

pj64input.gif

Ignore the word "Logitech Wingman Cordlless Gamepad US".. I found this picture from somewhere else but you got an idea. :)

I really appreciate your help and time, as this would save me a lot of worry and hassle... Do they still sell those adapters at Walmart? One most importantly - If i want to play two player, could i use two gamecube controllers and 2 gamecube adapters on the computer at the same time?

I am sure they still have it. At my location have only 1 left because I bought one already and I am not sure if they can get more but you never know so I must have one! :)

I can see how these would be "compatible"

***Edit*** I just thought of something -- do you think (if you use Project 64) that you could be so kind as to save your controller profile that you have setup for your Gamecube controller and email the file to me? That way, I could simply load it into mine and save all the explaining!! My email is KillerQ97@aol.com

n64a55f53ux9.jpg

gccontrollera23302mr0.jpg

Thanks,

Matt!

Really, look at the picture above of the controller setting up. There is "SAVE PROFILE"... after you set it up and click it and type joystick and save. It will save everything you set it up. The gamecube controller is the same as n64 controller but better and more comfortable. Hope I help. :)

EDIT: For an alternate to the default controller plugin you could try NRages Direct Input plugin as it emulates the N64 rumble pack via force feedback.

You should have NRages Direct Input plugin for gamecube/n64 adapter because it is the best one to set up nicely. :)

Here:

pj64nrage.gif

Last edited:

KillerQ

Hey all,

Just a heads up. I ended up getting the $10 Walmart converter kit and a $10 Gamecube controller. Using the NRages input plug in with PJ64, i got everything to work flawlessly! The only "adjustment" i had to make was that I unchecked the "use real n64 range" so that mario would run in all directions...

I am still a bit fuzzy on the range issue -- if range is checked, i could just adjust the %age untill i get the motion i need -- correct?

Thanks,

Matt!

KillerQ

Rock,

In the NRages plugin settings, there is a box that says "use real 64 range." Right under that setting, there is a bar where you can adjust a percentage of movement or something like that. I was wondering how to use that adjustment...

Thanks,

Matt!