Emulator Problem: MAME cheats not working

ThanosIsKing

I'm having a number of problems trying to get the cheats to work in MAME. I've downloaded MAMEUI32 version 0.127, and I've also downloaded Pugsy's cheat.dat file. However, there's no way that I can get MAME to recognize that DAT file. I've tried to "reinstall" MAME (unzip the whole MAME file to a different directory and everything) but still nothing happens. Another thing of note is that if I go to Options -> Cheat File, nothing happens, unlike when I select History File or Info File.

Now, I've heard that you might need to run MAME with an additional -cheat command parameter, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that in Vista. Could this be what's stopping the cheats from working, or could there be something else?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The cheat stuff has changed in the last few builds (from about 0.127 I think). I think it exists as individual .xml files per game now and they are still working on bringing it back up to date.

You can grab the current set here Looky Looky.

If you're using MameUI then use the toolbar at the top of the window, select 'Options' > 'default game options' > 'Miscellaneous' then click on the box to 'enable game cheats'.

Now when in game you can hit the TAB key, select 'Cheat' and it will bring up a list of any cheats for that game which you can enable at your leisure.

Hope that helps.