just built arcade mame cabinet..looking for PC help?

bonoscot

Hey guys I just finished my pedestal build,im looking to add a good emulator PC (this is all it will be used for)...I will be running Hyperspin frontend.

the most important is that I would like the PC to run most emulators at playable rate (60 fps)....this includes PSX/PS2 emulator as the gamecube and Wii.....theses systems are kind of high end and I would like them to run fine in my new PC.

the problem is I hear that emulators prefer higher CPU than GPU.....

can you guys give me examples of good gaming system specs I need before I start buying parts?

The PC will also run PC games like MK9/SSIV etc.....

So kind of high specs I assume,also like the system to be kind of future prrof for any other emulators that might be released....

CPU-
Ram-
GPU-
PSU-

Really appreciate this guys if you could help me out...I just want to be sure in what I buy to run in my new Gaming cabinet

bonoscot

Maybe I should have made it clearer....what are you guys using in you cabs to run the emulators above at full speed?

I then can buy the parts fine

Cliff Hawyn

My setup is somehow old: Intel Core 2 Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB ram, Geforce 8500 GT running Win 7 x64. It runs everything up do Gamecube and PSP with ease. PS2 lags with the heaviest games (eg. Shadow of the Colossus, but it's really close to fully playable). Never cared to check Wii, though.

Also, it's hard to predict how the future emulators will work, so I can't recommend you anything.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If you want dolphin and pcsx2 to run at playable speeds you need to go intel. I gave up my amd rig OC above 4ghz last year and got a ivy bridge clocked under 4ghz and the difference was night and day. If you get a haswell near 5ghz, just about anything is playable were emulation allows.

tips:
no emulator will go above 3 cores, just dont get more then a 4 core system.
No emulator will need more the 2g ram.
You dont really need that great of a video card. a nvidia 660 ti is more then enough with my recommendation of cpu.
PSU's depend on what you have, the higher sys spec the more from the psu is required, so decide on it last.

what do I have?
CPU-3570k i5 / z77 extreme MB
Ram-mushkin ram 8 gb
GPU-asus 660 ti cu II
PSU-SeaSonic X Series X-850

I OC my cpu, gpu, and ram. If you want to see how I did it, search for user ulao on forums.extremeoverclocking.com

Last edited:

bonoscot

thanks for info guys.....im really surprised at this though....I would have thought the latest emulators would have needed a lot more power than the specs given,especially the PS2/PSX/Wii/Gamecube.

You probably have saved me a good bit of cash,i have been saving up for a rig to run all these at full potential as its my main MAME cabinet,and would like it to run as flawless as possible,i was about to buy a :

I5 4760
8gb Ram
GTx560
1000wt PSU