Emulator Problem: How to speed up Dolphin on Laptop

Daveybird

Hey, I have a Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop, and I'm wondering, do any of you have any speed tips for running Dolphin on a notebook like this?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
AMD Dual-Core E-300 Accelerated Processor.

1) This is not a good cpu for dolphin. A 1.3 dual core is recommended for dolphin 2.x not 4.x
2) AMD's are known to be slow in Dolphin. Where Intel's are faster. A 3.0 intel will run better then a 4.0 AMD.
3) Laptops in general get hotter and are under clocked to compensate for this.
4) Dual cores are a must but quad's give you the ability to lock DSP to a third thread.

see "Recommended computer spec." http://www.yourdolphin.com/productdetail.asp?id=30&z=16

So your only option is to upgrade or try version 2.x

Daveybird

Thanks, I'm gonna try Dolphin 2. 3 was kinda slow, but 4 couldn't even get to the title screen on my laptop. I hate it how emulators get slower and slower. That's why I sometimes use older versions of MAME.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Just to explain why... When you design any software, the more you add the more it has to do. Just like Microsoft word 2007 hates the old systems and runs better on the new ones. Dolphin is the same thing, they just keep adding features. The downer here is that the newest dolphin has the best compatibility.

Daveybird

Just to explain why... When you design any software, the more you add the more it has to do. Just like Microsoft word 2007 hates the old systems and runs better on the new ones. Dolphin is the same thing, they just keep adding features. The downer here is that the newest dolphin has the best compatibility.

Yup, I found out Dolphin 2 had less compatibility when I tried to start a game in NCAA Football 2005 and about 1/8 through the loading bar the game froze on me. I will probably get a new laptop within a year or two, but in the meantime I'll just have do deal with frame skipping.

Daveybird

Hey, is a desktop with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor good for Dolphin 3.5 and NCAA Football 2005?

dstruct2k

AMD Dual-Core E-300 Accelerated Processor.

1) This is not a good cpu for dolphin. A 1.3 dual core is recommended for dolphin 2.x not 4.x
2) AMD's are known to be slow in Dolphin. Where Intel's are faster. A 3.0 intel will run better then a 4.0 AMD.
3) Laptops in general get hotter and are under clocked to compensate for this.
4) Dual cores are a must but quad's give you the ability to lock DSP to a third thread.

see "Recommended computer spec." hxxp:||www.yourdolphin.com|productdetail.asp?id=30&z=16

So your only option is to upgrade or try version 2.x

Excuse me, but I had to register here just to ask... What website are you linking users to??? That website is NOT the Dolphin Emulator... Or anything even remotely related to emulation.

Please stop telling people to download incredibly old versions of Dolphin (generating bug reports for issues that were fixed years ago and frustrating both devs and end-users), and send them to the correct website, dolphin-emu.org

Nobody should be using Dolphin builds older than 4.x.

dstruct2k

Dolphin's primary goal over the past year of development has been performance improvements. The newest builds are, in same cases, as much as twice as fast on the same system as the 2.x or 3.x versions.

micahking_

how do i play gamecube games on dolphin with my old computer
my computer has

Intel celeron 2.80 GHZ 2GB of ram and Intel 82865g

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You won't be able to play many games full speed on that system, but there should be a few shortcuts to improve speed like frameskipping. If you have any more questions about getting it to go faster, your time might be better spent at the official site: https://dolphin-emu.org/

kensterLOL

I was wondering if my computer could run Dolphin, or maybe even Project 64? I'm not picky lol.
I have a Latitude D630 laptop with Intel Centrino (so dual core processor) and 2GB RAM.