Help With Perfect Dark Netplay Please

ff7squirrelman

Hi, I could use some help getting perfect dark netplay working. I've posted this on several forums because I wasn't sure if it was an emulator problem, a Kaillera problem, my computer/internet or something else. I own perfect dark and the perfect dark remake but me and my brothers want to be able to play online vs each other and the remake isn't as good imo.

Using this setup (listed later), I am able to run the game perfectly on my computer, but when we try playing online the game either drops to like 10 fps for everyone and is unplayable or desynchs.

I'm using:
perfect dark 1.1 usa
Emulator: Mupen64k 0.8, I've tried a few others but they were either worse or I couldn't figure out how to host a game (I think I had this problem with 1964)
video plugin - Myglide64 v3.2 (I have also tried others like jabo's)
input plugin - n-rage v2 2.2 beta (needed for mouse aiming)
sound plugin - i've tried both azimers 2, which tends to be buggy for me and jabos.
rsp plugin - Hacktarux/Azimer hle rsp plugin (default and only rsp plugin I have)

I have tried a bunch of diffirent settings, and we are all using the same save file. i've also tried it at the smallest resolution settings in windowed mode.

I have tried it with rawdata (in the input plugin) checked and unchecked.

I have port forwarded it and had one game I tried where we didn't desynch and it stayed connected the entire time, several minutes, but our fps was like 10.

computer specs
---------------
I'm not sure what information is necessary but heres the system specs in my system information.

Internet: Dsl (I think I get about 250kb/sec, plenty for any other game so I don't think this is the problem).

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model GT5628
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R)Core(TM)2QuadCPU Q6600 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical

Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. DPP3510J.15A.0316.2008.0522.1909, 5/22/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.86 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.99 GB
Page File Space 3.93 GB

I tried a dozen different plugins and settings and don't know what to try now, any help would be appreciated or even if you could point me to a better place to ask (though again i've posted it on a few forums relevant to the subject). Oh and for testing purposes we tried Mario kart using the same setup online and it worked fine.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Hey there, when you say Mupen64K, do you MEAN Mupen64k or Mupen64++? People get them confused sometimes. If you are using Mupen64k, I would recommend trying Mupen64++ beta 0.1.3.12. As far as I know, Mupen64++ is a little older than the newest Mupen64K, but I know it works for Perfect Dark.

Here is the plugin setup I use for my online gameplay:

Graphics:
Either Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.56 or Direct64 v0.5.03.25

Input:
N-Rage's V2 1.83 (Dunno if it supports your mouse config, switch plugins if need be.)

Sound:
Jabo's DirectSound 1.7.0.7

RSP:
Hacktarux/Azimer HLE Rsp Plugin

The Kaillera Client DLL I use is a modification of the one packaged for Nemu64, and it works alot better for my purposes.

Since Mupen64++ Beta 0.1.3.12 is tricky to find, I'll provide you with one right now. (Upload by me): http://www.mediafire.com/?1f0cooml14to64q

I included all of the essential plugins, if you need to add any more, Im pretty sure you know what you need to do. :) If you have any more problems, stop by and post.

ff7squirrelman

I meant mupen64k, I thought I tried mupen64++ too but I might have looked up the pros and cons of each and decided with 64k instead at the time. I'll give mupen64++ a try later today. I would probably just need to add my input plugin is all unless your one is newer since I think I got this one after using the one you have to fix some aiming problems and such. I'll let you know what happens, ty.

Last edited:

ff7squirrelman

ok, so I haven't gotten to test the online portion as the friend that helps me test them hasn't been on tonight. But so far most of it works except for the graphics plugin being buggy because I am using an older one atm. For some reason when I try to just Jabo's 1.7 it says I need to initiate the gfx plugin and that it failed to initialize the dll. Odd enough when I try to use Jabo's directsound 1.7 the game crashes and if I try to configure the sound plugin it also crashes. Using jabo's DirectSound 1.6 atm without a problem though. Maybe I am missing something required for the 1.7 versions?

Oh while I'm asking, when using the mouse controls have you noticed that small or slow mouse movements aren't registered? It makes it hard for me to aim because any small/slow movements aren't registered at all. It does this even if I use the plugin you are using and I think I have read that this is a common problem but I was hoping there was a fix or something.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I haven't noticed that about the mouse, Maybe its because of the packets of info being sent aren't registering the movements? How about you try replacing the 1.7 plugin with the one from the Project64 1.6 release, that should work, but is perfect dark working?

ff7squirrelman

I replaced it with jabos 1.6, I think that's the one from project64 1.6. But yeah perfect dark is working except when I approach certain walls my gun disappears which never happened with my previous setup, I forget if I set the video plugin to jabos 1.6 or direct4 v.5 (your second recommendation). Once I do that it should work right I think. I had just hoped you might have known sometime about the mouse movement, maybe its something with my mouse or computer and how it registers mouse movement or maybe its how the addon works idk, I'll have to research it more. Hopefully I'll be able to test the online part of it tonight.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Alright, good to know that the game itself works. I wouldn't know anything about the mouse because I use a Gamecube controller (thanks to a nifty little adapter by our very own Ulaoulao) As far as the graphics plugin goes, I think I accidentally put in the graphics plugin for Project641.7, that plugin is incompatible with any emulator other than that one. The one you are currently using is the old OLD jabos plugin, Its JabosDirect3D6. Either way, it just takes some experimentation on your own part now that you have a working emulator for perfect dark.

Last edited:

ff7squirrelman

I attempted to test the online portion tonight but for some reason clicking either of the two kaillera buttons does nothing. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere or am missing a file or dll. I'll try redownloading it or something later tonight.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Im very sorry, I just tested out my mupen64++ again and I realized that the kaillera wasnt working, so I will replace the download link with the fully functional one.

Last edited:

ff7squirrelman

ok, I tried the dll I used for mupen64k and still nothing, I'm about to search around and try some other dlls now too. thanks again for all the help.

Edit: oh and I wonder if it has anything to do with my using a 64bit os, though kaillera has worked on it before with mupen64k... it just desynchs. Wish it gave me an error message at least haha.

Last edited:

ff7squirrelman

Finally tried it online today, sadly it didn't work. kept desyching before we even got a game started. We were trying it on the galaxy server. I wonder if its perfect dark or just something I'm doing wrong. I haven't ever seen anyone else playing perfect dark online, though that's probably just because of the remake.

unfortunately both the people that I have been testing it with are sick of trying to get it working :\ can't blame them though, lol.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Sorry man, its probably caused by the saving function, I say start it up once without online so that mupen prepares the save file, then try it online. Sorry for the bad luck man. :p