GB Music Extraction?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
yes, there is a way, first you load the game to your emulator, then you go to the area in the game where you want to get the music from, now, i asuming that you are using VisualBoyAdvance, so, when you are in that area, go to tools, then go to record, then click on sound recording, when you want the sound to stop recording, just exit out of the emulator.

Amyurabis

I do have Visualboy Advance and I do know how to record with it.

However, the particular game I want music from runs slow and choppy and the music runs likewise. I was just wondering if there was a way to hack into the ROM and extract the sound and music files from it.

If it’s exceedingly complicated or near to impossible maybe it’s more trouble than it’s worth, but I was just wondering if it was possible.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
the fact that the rom runs slowly shouldnt cause the music copying any problems in output,

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Well, if the game runs "slow" and "choppy" there's a good chance the recording will be the same. It's copying from the exact same rate so you'll get the same performance. Try running the video down to the smallest available (x1 - temporary that is) until your done your recording to gain the extra speed. Could run the Render Method in "DirectDraw" too while your at it... ;)

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You could try this app. Sappy

Never used it so I couldn't tell you how good it is but its a GBA music ripping app. Sounds like it rips directly from the rom image rather than an in-game recording.

Amyurabis

Sappy worked well for the GBA games I tried out; it was quite surprising.

However, original GB Color files were not compatible.

Perhaps I should try a binary file extractor; I've looked around for one but haven't found anything yet; they were all geared towards CDs and img files.

Or I can try examining the Hex Dump to identify the music/sound files. But honestly, I'm no programmer and I wouldn't know what to look for in a hex dump or what to do with the hex music files once I found them...