Flight Stick for Star Wars

FalconYT

Hello,

What would be a good choice for a flight stick for the arcade Star Wars game. A regular joystick springs back to center and obviously has no fluidity between up down left right.. Using the trackball is awkward.. If read some posts where people have built replica controls with potentiometers and the like. However is there just a pre-built say USB solution or something similar..

The yoke would be cool, but a regular single flight stick with some buttons that would fit into a standard joystick hole would be fine.. Any suggestions??

Thanks..
FalconYT

Zach

I'm not sure a standard PC joystick or anything like that would fit. Unless you really modded your layout. Also I haven't seen a flight stick that doesn't sprint back to center since the Sidewinder many years ago.. Assuming you mean you put it in a position and it holds it.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
There were commercial third party SW yokes available for a while but afaik they aren't sold anymore.

A proper SW yoke from ebay is doable, but they don't come up very often and command a fairly impressive premium when they do as people with original SW cabs snap them up for spares.

Detailed plans for building your own are about online and don't require more than average skill with woodworking and wiring and can be made for very reasonable money.

Unless you want to spend money or get your hands dirty though the only alternative really is to use a mouse (or trackball).

FalconYT

Hi Zach, Trucker..

I was playing it and I'm really missing the yoke or a flight stick for it... Just curious I remember it being very smooth playing the original game and I don;t think it self centered.. The 8 way joystick in the cabinet doesn't really seem to cut it. Would a regular usb flightstick work with MAME?? or maybe an older stick if I can dig one up with a old game port in the PC..

I found this place that looks like is going to make replica controllers:
Star Wars Yoke

I imagine that is going to be pretty expensive....

Zach

Oh THAT.. I thought you meant the newer SW Arcade machines that were out in the early half of the 2000 decade.

I remember playing on one but I don't remember if it snaps back to center or not, and have no idea what a PC equivalent replacement would be.

A small Pc joystick, snap or not, would be better. Or some kind of Analog joystick equivalent to the USB analog pads (I don't know if Arcades had analog flight sticks). The standard 8 way thumbstick on arcades doesn't have enough range of movement inbetween resting center and the radius boundary. Any joystick that is small enough to fit would definitely work a hell of a lot better, but as to what is out there I have no clue.

You could mod an arcade analog /paddle wheel if any machine has one like the old paddle wheels on the Atari consoles, or you could try mod'ing an centipede ball vs standard track ball.. Arkanoid? (can never get a good look at what the control is in pics)

Last edited: