Final Fantasy 8 PC version screw up

Invid

I was wondering if anyone could help me out and figure out why my FF8 isn't working anymore. A long time ago I got rid of my actual cd's and now only have the images for them and had been playing it on my computer using daemon tools for quite some time. The other day I tried to do it again and I keep getting the message "wrong disk" or " insert disk." I don't know if the pathways have gotten screwed up or what, I mount them the same way I always have, and it worked in the past.

It is incredibly annoying to go to my saved game and not be able to play it. I swear to freaking god it is like this game is cursed for me. I have purchased it four times on the ps2, and once for the PC, and every time half way through something goes wrong and I either lose my data or lose my game.

Anyone have any insight into what the problem might be? I had thought maybe my alcohol 120% cd drive was causing problems, and it might be that, but I don't know how to turn off the fake drive that it created.

Zach

Alcohol has a dead simple options menu.. open the main program, there should be a left side list of separated into various sub sections.. Select "Virtual Drive" from the Options sub-menu on the left side of the main screen.

set amount of devices to 0.

It be a case of the drive you are mounting the CD images to, is not the same drive letter as the drive you installed the game from.

Invid

Did you try pressing continue ater it says "disk missing"?

Yes, I did, but it really shouldn't matter since if it was working I wouldn't need to.

Alcohol has a dead simple options menu.. open the main program, there should be a left side list of separated into various sub sections.. Select "Virtual Drive" from the Options sub-menu on the left side of the main screen.

set amount of devices to 0.
Thanks, I was able to remove it.

It be a case of the drive you are mounting the CD images to, is not the same drive letter as the drive you installed the game from.

That is what I was thinking might have been the problem, which is why I wanted to remove the alcohol drive since I thought maybe since I was using daemon tools it would need to be run on daemon tools, I thought it might have been taking up that space and wouldn't work when mounted on alcohol simply because it was a different type of drive.

I think perhaps now it my be because I appended my second hard drive which now has "F:" as its designation, anyone know how I can change the letter associated with a volume?

Zach

Control Panel, Administrative tools -> Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

You can remove and change drive letters for any physical drives and partitions, including optical drives (CD/DVD) etc.

Invid

Control Panel, Administrative tools -> Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

You can remove and change drive letters for any physical drives and partitions, including optical drives (CD/DVD) etc.

Thanks, I was able to change the label. Unfortunately it didn't clear up the problem, I've run out of ideas.

Are you using Windows Vista?
Yes. But I was able to run it for a long time before it started messing up.

SeZ87

Hi there, I've been having the same problem lately when trying to play, and I found a solution for me, using virtual CD http://www.virtualcd.de/ I was able to mount the image to my actual DVD ROM drive and I tabbed back and was able to play the game :)

hope this works for all!

cheers :)

btw: running windows 7 64bit

Last edited: