F-Zero Dolphin GameCube Speed issue

hurta

I'm trying to run F-Zero GX on Dolphin. It's running very smooth but very slow.
Is this also the CPU being to slow or is there any way to increase the speed?
I'm running it on a 3.6ghz i5 3570k with dual core turned on.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I will tell you this, you are luckier than I, I always get this game to crash on start up. Have you gone to the Dolphin website to see how you might speed it up? I know there must be a few techniques.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That game is intense on the CPU. I run it on my 3570k over clocked with a 280 gtx and it still slows down on me. Best bet it to get a better video card IMO. Now make sure you are using good setting. Sound locked to core ( using a 3rd core ) and HLE not LTE on the sounds as well.

hurta

That game is intense on the CPU. I run it on my 3570k over clocked with a 280 gtx and it still slows down on me. Best bet it to get a better video card IMO. Now make sure you are using good setting. Sound locked to core ( using a 3rd core ) and HLE not LTE on the sounds as well.

I'm running it with a 560ti so the GPU shouldn't be the problem? Is there a way to make it more intense one the GPU instead of the CPU? By "Sound locked to core" do you mean DSP LLE on thread? I've also tried to run it on my main pc 4ghz 3570k with radeon 7970. Im getting good fps but it still runs slow. And when i look in task manager only one core is at around 90% load the others only at around 20-30% i.imgur.com/Li6YZvY.png. Is it possible to utilize the other cores some more?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm running it with a 560ti so the GPU shouldn't be the problem?
, nope you are good.
Is there a way to make it more intense one the GPU instead of the CPU?
no, that is up to the devs. No options exposing that.
By "Sound locked to core" do you mean DSP LLE on thread?
yes

I've also tried to run it on my main pc 4ghz 3570k with radeon 7970. Im getting good fps but it still runs slow. And when i look in task manager only one core is at around 90% load the others only at around 20-30% i.imgur.com/Li6YZvY.png. Is it possible to utilize the other cores some more?
You only get 3 with dolphin 2 for the main came I assume you have that on, and the lle on thread. You only have one option... Get a water cool set up and clock to near 5 ghz or higher.
http://teksyndicate.com/forum/overclocking/best-water-cooler-getting-i5-3570k-5ghz/123592

Good luck and pay attention if you try it. Do this at your own risk.

Last edited:

The_OMEGA

I actually found a fix for this, F-Zero was running really slow on my pc so I looked it up and found its a problem exclusive to some of the more recent versions of dolphin. I suggest downloading an older version (the one I downloaded was 2 years 4 months old). it now runs great on my computer hope this helped :) though it should be worth mentioning that I have no enhancements running and that the state save rarely works correctly and the program runs with some bugs.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That is not a problem, that is common scene. A lot of people dont get this but its very easy to explain. Dolphin is after all software... Take adobe photo shop for example. Each version that comes out has more features and is larger in size, so it requires more memory and cpu then before. Now en emulator not only is software but is also a lot like an operating system. After all its emulating the dolphin environment. So the more the emulators adds the more is expected to run it. Think about windows, each version requires more and more.

So yes, if you can not run games on dolphin 4.0, its most important you go back to 2.5 or so. Now 4.0 will have less glitches and allow you to use newer DX versions. F-zero is notable one of the hardest games to run at full speeds.

Last edited: