Game Problem: Donkey Kong 64 - can't save game using SixtyForce

Ken D

Apologies if this has been answered before, a search (both of the site and the Internet in general) hasn't helped.

I've downloaded (and registered :) ) SixtyForce on my Mac, and most games run incredibly well - with the upscaling etc, it's amazing how good some old games look! However, I have an issue with Donkey Kong 64 - although the game itself plays great, I cannot save my progress. Selecting "Save" from the pause menu plays the "OK!" sample, but nothing is actually saved. Restarting the game tells me there are 3 blank save slots.

After doing some digging, I understand that DK64 has some tricky copy protection code that can interfere with saved games; however, this appeared to cause saves to disappear after a certain time... in my case, they simply don't save at all.

I've emailed the author of SixtyForce to see if he can offer any suggestions. I'm not sure if this is a common problem with emulating DK64, or just an issue specific to SixtyForce. Can anyone offer any insights into what's going wrong, and if there are any work-arounds?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I read that both mupen64 and SixtyForce won't permit saving in DK64 because its not legal (choice by author). Don't ask me why, I dont know, guessing it violates some security thing. zeroN64 on the other hand seem to permit it.

Last edited: