Desync in Kaillera

Zatsu

I use Kawaks 1.55 and it has Kaillera netplay support. I usually play with my friends in low-ping servers, but we get this 'desync' very often while we play. If you are not aware what is a desync, it's plainly like this: The game between the two players don't sync and they see things differently, you can notice that the game is desyncing when your opponent isn't really fighting back.

I have mentioned between my friends that it should be a lag problem. We live in the same country and the server we use is about 30-40ms ping, so there shouldn't be any serious lag.
What is the solution to this?

Thanks for reading, im looking forward to your answer.

Alkaiser

I stopped playing games on Kaillera because it takes 2 seconds before my character will react to my inputs.

You should play zbattle insead.

Zatsu

Alkaiser said:
I stopped playing games on Kaillera because it takes 2 seconds before my character will react to my inputs.

You should play zbattle insead.

Well, I have that too. But I really prefer (so do my friends) Samurai Shodown ZERO and KOF2000 and other neo-geo type of games, count street fighter vs marvel games in too. I've played throughoutly all zsnes gundam and street fighter games, can't get addicted to them anymore.

Still looking for the answer with the desync problem. Thanks for replying.

Alkaiser

Zatsu said:
Well, I have that too. But I really prefer (so do my friends) Samurai Shodown ZERO and KOF2000 and other neo-geo type of games, count street fighter vs marvel games in too. I've played throughoutly all zsnes gundam and street fighter games, can't get addicted to them anymore.

Still looking for the answer with the desync problem. Thanks for replying.

All I can say is those games were never meant to be played online in the first place and it's pretty amazing that they're able to do this much.

It's not surprisng that it's not perfect but I have spoken to a lot of people who say they don't lag at all.

What kind of connection do you have and how fast is it?

I've got DSL 153.6 kb/s download / 12 kb/s upload.

Also, are you having any lag issues with zbattle?

It works nearly perfect for me with the occasional 1 second pausing every now and then.

Zach

Try playing with your Keyframes

And make sure whatever your Keyframes are set to, its the same at both ends.
Make sure neither of you are capping out your download/upload pipes, you should probably stop all activity and dedicate it to the game anyway.

If you're on a modem, well.. Can't say much for you. But most games should at least go pretty decently.

All I know is whatever code the ZSNES guys were using a while back before they removed it, was damn good code, and if given the chance others should study it and try to improve upon/incoporate it into other emulators' netplay.

Kaillera doesn't seem like its been updated or anything in forever. It was fun at first, but sometimes doesn't seem worth the hassle. I know the last time I had fun my friend pulled 2 of his other college buddies into a game session and we did 4P on lots of shit, and had a pretty fun time overall.

Last edited:

Zatsu

Alkaiser said:
All I can say is those games were never meant to be played online in the first place and it's pretty amazing that they're able to do this much.

It's not surprisng that it's not perfect but I have spoken to a lot of people who say they don't lag at all.

What kind of connection do you have and how fast is it?

I've got DSL 153.6 kb/s download / 12 kb/s upload.

Also, are you having any lag issues with zbattle?

It works nearly perfect for me with the occasional 1 second pausing every now and then.

I'm concerned about those "who don't lag at all" type of people, how do they do it?

I have an 8mbit/1mbit ADSL connection, all my friends have about the same. And I have no lag issues in zbattle, that's all.

And Neco, thanks for your advice, I'm going to try that one out. And yes, we always turn our downloads off before playing.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Alkaiser

Zatsu said:
I'm concerned about those "who don't lag at all" type of people, how do they do it?

That's what I want to know. I asked them and they always tell me to "turn off your DLs and scan for viruses, etc." That's not the issue here.

They say they don't lag at all but I think that's BS. Anyway, if you manage to figure it out somehow let me know ok?

I use Kawaks 1.46 + loader for Kaillera games. Best damn emu I ever used and it goes full screen while online. It doesn't crash at all like Mame 0.64 does.

The lag's probably caused by all that crap running in the background like the servers, people joining, chatting, etc.

I have an 8mbit/1mbit ADSL connection, all my friends have about the same. And I have no lag issues in zbattle, that's all.

Ya, well I guess I've got a crappy ISP then.

Are we supposed to open any ports for Kaillera?

Last edited:

DarkSide

Alkaiser said:
That's what I want to know. I asked them and they always tell me to "turn off your DLs and scan for viruses, etc." That's not the issue here.

They say they don't lag at all but I think that's BS. Anyway, if you manage to figure it out somehow let me know ok?

I use Kawaks 1.46 + loader for Kaillera games. Best damn emu I ever used and it goes full screen while online. It doesn't crash at all like Mame 0.64 does.

The lag's probably caused by all that crap running in the background like the servers, people joining, chatting, etc.

Ya, well I guess I've got a crappy ISP then.

Are we supposed to open any ports for Kaillera?

The desinc is beacuse the location and when the server get too busy [full of people on it'] the number of the ping is how close u are to THE SERVER not country, my ping here in brasil is about 67 average, my friend that live next to brasil telecom his average ping is 5/10, i use kaillera very often and i can guarantee this to you.

Claw_gr

This is what I have heard and believe for the following topic, most of them were told but i will tell the most common problems and one solution

Well those who lag, lag for the following reasons:
1)Due to bad connection (upload speed matters too... for example if you have 2000/128 then its basically the same with 256/128kbps) (You dont have to download the keystrokes of your opponent from the server, but also to send yours fast
2)Mistyped their keyframes for their connection
3)Bad emulator Versions (I think the best are mame 0.64 and maybe kawaks 1.45) the newest emulator u have the more it will lag because it may support more games and has bug fixes but at the cost of performance that will make it slower in network
4)Far distances
(As you know your speed connection cant travel fastest from the speed of light)
So even those with super connections will have at least the minimum ping due to distance (Those that play from US to China they have at least 100ms ping)
5)No matter how good the server is, when it is overloaded the ping rises for everyone and those who suffer the most are those that are far away
6) AND the most common reason, different emulator with your opponent means higher chance to desync
7) Of course using your download and upload speed somewhere means lag but i suppose you already know that (especially p2p conenctions)... The more connections your pc handles the more it lags and WinXp with Sp2 limits them

If you want a good ping you should play it in a LAN (I mean real lan , not set tting the keystrokes to lan) :D otherwise create a server to play with your friend from the same city(the one with the better connection should be, except if you know and have a good server in your city)

Also you cannot portforward kaillera because client tries to join with a random port every time (if you run a server and try to join it you will see that the port you used is random)

Now i have learned that those who have bad connections know better why they lag ;) (the others had their downloads open :excl: :p ) One of them is me, but i know at least how to minimize my ping with that way