Controller problem

Saiyajin123

I just bought a gamemon universal usb converter for controllers for my Acer Aspire 5570 laptop. I planned on using it for my project 64 1.6 emulator but for some reason it won't work. When I plugged the converter in for the first time, my computer automatically downloaded he needed software. However, when I go to change the controller settings, it doesn't pick it up in the game device section. The converter is compatible with my vista and is compatible with the gamecube controller I'm using. What's wrong?
Edit: I got the controller working, but when I try to assign which button does which, I can't get the joysticks assigned to anything. When I go to assign the controls, I push the icon and then press the button I want it to represent. However, for the up, down, left, and right controls, I can't assign the joystick to them.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Sounds like an analog problem. Do you mean "up, down, left, and right " of the "stick" not the digital pad directionals? If so make sure in the "game controllers" under control panel they are working. If PJ64 still refuses to see them try another plug in.

Saiyajin123

They work. I've tried a PS2 controller as well and I get the same problem. The only problem is that the analog stick doesn't work in the gameplay. When I go to assign the analog stick's buttons for the game, I push up on the joystick for the up direction and I do the same for the other directions. In the box next to the assigned buttons, it says, for example, "GamePad: Y-axis +" for the up direction.

Please, I still need help.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well first off it is a plugin problem... the emulator has little of nothing to do with it. So try another as I suggested or tell us witch you are using. But, I'm doubtful that there is any help we can give you other then to try another plug. Personally I like n-rage or jabo's..

Saiyajin123

Well first off it is a plugin problem... the emulator has little of nothing to do with it. So try another as I suggested or tell us witch you are using. But, I'm doubtful that there is any help we can give you other then to try another plug. Personally I like n-rage or jabo's..
I've tried those two and a third one. None of them worked. Jabo's was able to get the up and left to work but not the right and down to work. Using jabo's, when I tried to assign the right and down, it didn't even sense that I was pulling down and right on the joystick. Also, the left and up controls that did work were kinda sticky. Is there a way to download more controller plugins?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
abo's was able to get the up and left to work but not the right and down to work.
- Ahhh, you said the magic words my friend.. Ok here's your problem..

Calibration!

First go in to windows control panel and in the joystick panel. You will see your joystick double click on it. then go to setting and select calibrate. Follow the instruction miss nothing.. Then in jabo's applet you will see dead zones. Here you may have to play with it abit. but this should fix you up..

Saiyajin123

- Ahhh, you said the magic words my friend.. Ok here's your problem..

Calibration!

First go in to windows control panel and in the joystick panel. You will see your joystick double click on it. then go to setting and select calibrate. Follow the instruction miss nothing.. Then in jabo's applet you will see dead zones. Here you may have to play with it abit. but this should fix you up..
There was no joystick panel. The closest that I got was gamepad. When I opened that up, I got this: http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/8232/problempic1rm3.png
After clicking on GC to PC, I get this window: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1111/problempic2uv4.png

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
OMG what is that monstrosity!!!

LOL just kidding.

Ok so you are one of the vista users... Oh I dont envy you.

Ok, looks like good old M$ has again destroyed a perfectly good tool. What a shock!! Well since you cant calibrate your joystick you may by SOL. here is how to tell.. look at the second screen and when you move the analog about you should see a + moving around. If it does not hit the left right top bottom most edges its not calibrated. If this is the case you are totally out of luck vista has F'ed you over. There may be a way to calibrate in vista but I "ain't" got a clue.. If it does hit the edges.. then adjust the dead zone in the plugins...

badfuru

I've got the same problem .. tried the things that was listed here , but didnt work.. what to do!? just bought a Logic3 controll.

:(