Competition - Can You Name This Game???

tigrepojke

Ok, popquiz

I have been trying to find the name of a game for a very very long time and have asked on almost all other forums/websites but no-one knows what game I am describing. Can you ?

It was in the arcades around the time of StreetFighter 2 Champion Edition, I know because I was in the arcades to play that, but if it was being used I would have a bash at this game.
It was a semi-scrolling fighting game, as in the arenas were about 3 screens wide and scrolled left and right as the fighters moved. They could also move up and down the screen/arena as well.
3 controllable characters, (I think/can remember)
They had own unique fghting abilities which included fireballs and other "special" moves, but nothing over the top.
You chose one character, then you went to a world map where you chose a location.
Each location had it's own enemy to fight, the enemies were mythical creatures such as a Centaur and I vaguely remember a sort of bio-alien type creature and a floating eye monster. My memory fails me drastically on any other details of adversaries, sorry.
I think you had to defeat all monsters/creatures to save the world
It played a bit like a cross between the styles of Street Fighter 2, Captain Commando and Dungeons and Dragons.
The character, or at least the one I always played with, had a very distinct Ryu/Ken feel to him. Not in appearance, just in control, moves and style.
I think it might, repeat might, have been a Capcom game due to it's appearances being similar to their style of game, but I might be wrong.

The prize should you name this game for me (and it is confirmed as the one I want) will be inclusion in my will as sole successor to all my wordly goods and fortunes ;o)

Terms and conditions - Anyone who is affiliated in any way with hitmen and assassins are not eligible to enter this contest

Saq

have a look at a rom site, you may find the name there. PM me if you dont know of any rom sites.

hagbard

I think your game might be Mutant Fighter aka Death Brade (J), although sounds to me like King of Dragons, but this is not one on one fighting :p :cool:

Last edited:

tigrepojke

Competition Still On!

Nope, not Death Brade/Mutant Fighter, there was no wrestling involved in the game I am looking for. But thanks for the guess, appreciate the response.

Each level you fought one monster, it always felt like you were fighting one boss fight after the other.

Each monster had their own place on the world map, visit each monster and defeat to win the game.

I think, but might be wrong, that each monster held a treasure and you were going there to nick it. But have been watching Indiana Jones the past few days so this might have scrambled my brain.

It was not a Streetfighter or Fatal Fury, or any of it's clones. It had more of a Pitfighter or Capt Commando type of game feel to it, except with big monsters.
One character definitely had a Ryu type fireball though you could throw about to keep your distance but it did very little damage.

You could choose from 3 human characters I think. A fast one, a balanced one and a slow strong one, the usual suspect in ability.

Each monster was BIG, not human sized.

The centaur fought in a hall, he had armour, shield and sword/pike. He charged you a lot.

The big eye monster could paralyse you I think. I also vaguely remember it being able to spawn little eyes as well but might be wrong.
(it was not Shuma Gorath, as one person has pm'ed me. This is not Marvel vs Capcom!)

The game was not any of the Dungeons and Dragons, or Altered Beast, or Primal Rage.
It had monsters in it, mythical and made up, no dinosaurs or large farting apes.

It had early 90's style graphics.

So in summary, you fought big monsters/creatures with human characters, it felt like a boss fight from something like Dungeons and Dragons, but not that, and there is a possible treasure flavour to the story line.

The competition is still on!!!.......can you win it?

All guesses welcome, keep them coming, and thanks for reading.

tigrepojke

hagbard

King of Dragons?

tigrepojke

Thanks But Not The One

Nope not King of Dragons

The game I am chasing is NOT a side-scrolling adventure, all action takes place in a single room/arena that is about 3 screens wide at a guess.

There are NO small enemies to fight through, every stage is simply straight in to fight a BIG monster
The monster lives at the stage, beat it up and complete the stage and possibly nick some treasure, but not sure on the treasure bit.

You play up-to-date characters, there are no elves, dwarves or legendary swordsmen to fight with.
I would say the characters are something you would see in a Japanese cartoon, Manga style, but not as dark or stylish.

Ring anyone's bells?

tigrepojke

Woohoo!

MONSTER MAULERS!!!! Get down with your bad self!

Thanks montpics, you are truly a legend and now also the sole successor to all my worldly goods.

I was wrong about being able to move up and down the screen, faulty memory, left/right only. But then I did seem to remember the monsters being much bigger.
No matter, I'm gonna have fun playing this bugger, just need to search out the moves list as those damn monsters are hard.

Thanks again.

Competition closed, you snooze you lose.

tigrepojke

tigrepojke

Special Moves

I think each character has 2 special moves, I worked out 2 for each of the guys anyways

Kotetsu (something like that)

Fireball (Ken style) - D, DF, F and attack. Strength of attack changes angle

Flame Dive (M Bison/Vegas Psycho Crusher) - Jump back and anytime before you land press F + Attack

Eagle

Cannonball Drive (Felicia style) - D, DF, F and attack. Strength of attack changes angle

Rushing Uppercut - F, D, DF.

Can't work out any moves for the girl, I think she has one super throw though that might need a special to do.

If anyone knows the girls moves or any others feel free to add to this thread.

tigrepojke