Cheat Codes.

ProfessorX

Hi, I downloaded some cheat codes on a DAT file. I'm trying to play a game using a mame0111b.exe from 2006 because the ROM's quite old. I was wondering if anyone could help me incorporate the cheat codes into my emulator.

I read some guidelines on how to do this (eg for MAME.EXE, edit your 'mame.ini' and change 'cheats 0' to 'cheats 1'. For MAME32.EXE, go to the Options. Defualt Options and go to 'Miscellaneous' and 'Enable Game Cheats'), but it's proved difficult since I can't find the mame.ini file to edit and I can't find the Options menu for MAME32.EXE. I'm not entirely sure what kind of Mame I downloaded. Any help would be great. Thanks.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If its commandline mame you need to generate an .ini file using the commandline. Change the commandline to your mame directory, then type:

mame -cc

Commandline mame is the one called win32 binary from the main mame.net downloads page.

Mame32 options are accessed from the menu in the toolbar at the top when you launch mame32.

In either case once you've got it installed correctly and the cheats enabled, you press TAB in game to access the cheats menu.

ProfessorX

If its commandline mame you need to generate an .ini file using the commandline. Change the commandline to your mame directory, then type:

mame -cc

Commandline mame is the one called win32 binary from the main mame.net downloads page.

Mame32 options are accessed from the menu in the toolbar at the top when you launch mame32.

In either case once you've got it installed correctly and the cheats enabled, you press TAB in game to access the cheats menu.

How do you access commandline exactly? I'm having trouble finding the win32 binary from the main mame.net downloads page.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You can download it from this link.

To access the commandline click the Start button on your desktop, select 'Run' and type: cmd

This will open a command prompt that will look like this:

C:>

Now browse to your mame directory, for example if your mame directory is C:\emulation\mame you would type:

C:> cd C:\emulation <hit return key>

C:\emulation> cd C:\emulation\mame <hit return key>

C:\emulation\mame> mame -cc

And that will generate your .ini file in the mame folder.

Obviously you would need to substitue the lines in the above example to reflect the location of mame on your computer.