Chainging save names?

JokeAss

Hi!

I've been playing "The Lengend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" on Project 64 emulator for a while. The problem is, I wrote my name in all caps, while I'd want it to be like the other names in the game.

Is there any way to change this in the save game file? I tried opening it and hex-editing it, but I didn't find my name anywhere in it.

Anybody help?

JokeAss

I know that. But that was not what I asked for. The problem is if I can change the name somehow, WITHOUT (!) making a new game.

spotanjo3

Sure!

For an example:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time (!).n64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (!).sav

Change it to:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.n64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time.sav

Both must have the same name. Just rename them. It doesnt effect anything. :D

Jale

Sure!

For an example:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time (!).n64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (!).sav

Change it to:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.n64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time.sav

Both must have the same name. Just rename them. It doesnt effect anything. :D
That's not what he meant. When you start a new game, it asks you to input a name. He wants to change it by modifying the save file.

JokeAss

Like Butters said:

What I mean is the IN-GAME save. E.g. the name you type in when you start a new game. Is there a way to change THIS (the player name, ex. "Link") without making a new game?

JokeAss

Apparently not. Tried some more hex-editing of save files, didn't get a lot out of it. Backed up, created two games, one with upper and one with lower. I compared those, and found only one difference at first. Those were the same in uppercase and my game, but different to the lowercase one. So I changed the hex values, and it looked good. Still didn't work. apparently, the save contains some sort of anti-corruption, which I can't figure out. I'll check more tomorrow, though. I searched, and found no other place where the name was present. What happened was that I started the game, and it reverted the save file. This just guarantees there is some sort of anti-corruption in Zelda: Ocarina of Time savegames.

Last edited: