PDA

View Full Version : Animated Jpegs

TchuBacha
July 23rd, 2005, 16:34
Ive got this smilie(animated) off a board from imdb.com and saved it so i can add to my custom emocition (or what ever they called) and ive noticed is a jpeg but its still animated. I always thought animated images where .gif's and jpeg where just plan pictures. Am i wrong or has my computer interperated it wrong.

GHDpro
July 23rd, 2005, 17:21
That is odd, yes. Afaik indeed the original JPEG format is static and doesn't support animation.
But there are formats like JPEG 2000 (.jp2) whose capabilities I don't know off.
There is also MNG (animated PNG) and MPEG (though that's not a "web" image format).

Are you sure the file isn't renamed or something?

TchuBacha
July 23rd, 2005, 17:38
when i save the picture its saved under .gif but when i right click it it says .jpeg

RockY
July 23rd, 2005, 17:53
Probably it is named as: file.jpeg.gif

TchuBacha
July 23rd, 2005, 18:02
Try it out yourselfs i was on a board thing about the doctor who christmas special and saw a animation http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/board/nest/22686777

its the yes animation on the 3rd posting down. and another thing is got an icon thats looks like a jpeg and not a .gif

Lefteris_D
July 23rd, 2005, 18:21
The only animated images I know are GIF and MNG. You probably saved a GIF file with a JPG extension.

TchuBacha
July 23rd, 2005, 18:22
The only animated images I know are GIF and MNG. You probably saved a GIF file with a JPG extension.

in the drop down box it said .gif and i saved it with the name "yes" without the "

But if i save under .gif and with the file name as "yes.gif" without the " its all normal.