PDA

View Full Version : "Don't hate me because I'm old..."

cloud4004
December 19th, 2004, 03:14
I'm tired of people turning down good RPG's because there "old". It's not old you nunse! It's a classic! If you don't like the graphics at least give the story and game play a chance... So many great RPG's are ignored because people are critical, close minded, idiots. It's like no one cares anymore. I met a chick yesterday who said her favorite FF game was X-2 simply because of how nice the graphics looked "WHAT THE HELL!?" I say! "What the hell..."

:fuckyou: EVERYONE!

Jale
December 19th, 2004, 03:31
Hey, calm down! Breath... slowly... :my_santas

montpics
December 19th, 2004, 09:59
That's pretty common to any gamers nowadays. In which many newcomers only try the latest games and not the oldies. And I supposed she is also categorized in that group as well. Thinking that good graphics is the good game. I can't blame those people, as they are too new to the gaming world. :cool:

Zach
December 19th, 2004, 10:23
Chances are if you were born on or after 1985 you have no appreciation for real games.

hanzmoleman007
December 19th, 2004, 13:21
Chances are if you were born on or after 1985 you have no appreciation for real games.
LOL! I'm sure to get flamed but, Amen brother...classics rule! :D

Zach
December 19th, 2004, 13:29
I'm not trying to be rude to younger people either. I mean I was born in '82 myself, but when I look at my bro and other people his age who are only 2 years younger than me, they just have no appreciation for the classics.

To his credit he wants FF: Dawn of Souls for christmas, and even though its a bastardized version of FF1, I plan to pick it up for him. He also likes Tactics Advance, and did like Tactics PSX, but found advanced more fun.

TiredBoy
December 19th, 2004, 14:57
Personally (as a kid born in 1986), I think I find the older games more fun, though they probably aren't going to be quite as retro as the ones you're thinking of Neco. I'm a big fan of the early RPGs, and granted, although there are some pretty good ones, the ones in the days of the NES and SNES are the ones that really grabbed my attention.

I bought FF: Origins. Does that count for anything? :D Oh, and I still have a working light gun for my NES with Duck Hunt. No Ataris or Commodores, though.

Jale
December 19th, 2004, 15:06
Personally (as a kid born in 1986), I think I find the older games more fun
I totally agree with you! I was born in 1986 and I really appreciate classics, even Atari's ones.

Nowadays, some game depelopers take graphics as a priority and the plot is a whole mess.

Zach
December 19th, 2004, 15:30
I have origins and enjoyed FF1 quite a bit. FF2 I've found hard to 'get into' though. I also like FF1 on NES but prefer origins because I can only take so much of the NES sound before I go crazy. Its one of the few games where the sound could have been made a little less 'harsh'

cloud4004
December 19th, 2004, 23:55
I just logged on today... I can't believe how many gamers replayed to my post yesterday... :o I'm touched. I had almost lost hope in all RPG gamers. "Thank you" everyone.

Jet Set Willy
December 19th, 2004, 23:58
I'm kinda worried how you read this thread and then posted about Chrono Trigger in the retro forum...

cloud4004
December 20th, 2004, 00:06
Why cokie monster?

Jet Set Willy
December 20th, 2004, 00:09
I'm Oscar the Grouch.

cloud4004
December 20th, 2004, 00:11
Holy shit, so you are. Wow, I'm sorry. I saw a Muppet and typed in the first Muppet name that came to me.

Jale
December 20th, 2004, 00:24
He looks like Kermit frog after a night in a pub :biglaugh:

cloud4004
December 20th, 2004, 00:31
lol, for real. By the way... How do I set up an avatar... I'm a noob...

Jale
December 20th, 2004, 00:35
We have already answered you in your "Arg" thread.

cloud4004
December 20th, 2004, 00:48
Yeah, I get it all now, thx

TiredBoy
December 20th, 2004, 03:01
I have origins and enjoyed FF1 quite a bit. FF2 I've found hard to 'get into' though. I also like FF1 on NES but prefer origins because I can only take so much of the NES sound before I go crazy. Its one of the few games where the sound could have been made a little less 'harsh'
I'd have to agree regarding FF2 (Japanese release, I'm assuming). While the story was pretty good for its time and the concept was cool, the leveling system was way too tedious - it was infinitely better executed in Fire Emblem, despite the genre differences.

Don't you feel all that nostalgia from the sound? =P Personally, I'm not bothered by sound unless it's chanting (*cough Xenosaga image cough*). The real 3 (read: "3j" as in the third Japanese release) is probably one of my favorite RPGs, though, and probably 70 or so percent of the reason I'm even considering a DS.

And I still have that darn Dragon Warrior I saved game sitting around, waiting for me to pick up Erdrick's Armor. Argh. Why oh why didn't I finish it!?! Oh yeah. College prep. Whoo.

cloud4004
December 21st, 2004, 00:17
I can't believe this post is still going....???
:confused:

montpics
December 24th, 2004, 10:50
It won't be stopped until someone stop talking about it. That's normal. :P

cloud4004
December 26th, 2004, 23:18
Then let the continued talking comence!!!!

montpics
December 27th, 2004, 11:09
See? This thread is alive again as I post. :p

But anyway, if anyone is new to gaming world. Show him/her some classic games like Super Mario Bros in which my little bro loved playing so much instead of newer games. :)

305soldier
May 1st, 2005, 06:21
im only 13 but i like games on snes and the genesis better then all these annoying ass pokemon games. and i perfer killer instinct on snes better then killer instinct gold for the N64. so if your hating on the youngsters coz you think thier all brainless fools please remember that thier are kids that like old games. my freind still plays plays his nes and he's 14.

Raven
May 1st, 2005, 06:41
Yeah the retrogames RULES!!! :bow:

PhatPlaya
May 1st, 2005, 07:27
im only 13 but i like games on snes and the genesis better then all these annoying ass pokemon games. and i perfer killer instinct on snes better then killer instinct gold for the N64. so if your hating on the youngsters coz you think thier all brainless fools please remember that thier are kids that like old games. my freind still plays plays his nes and he's 14.

Yeah same here, lucky my parents bought me a Nintendo and Sega Mega-Drive:D
My dad still has a working Commodore 64 that he 'preserved', so that helped :p

ragericho
May 2nd, 2005, 10:58

Its true the average age of gamers is 24 according to a servey i read on advance media network.

The origional mario brothers owns u all and all other games

Genome
May 2nd, 2005, 15:09
I'm tired of people turning down good RPG's because there "old". It's not old you nunse! It's a classic! If you don't like the graphics at least give the story and game play a chance... So many great RPG's are ignored because people are critical, close minded, idiots. It's like no one cares anymore. I met a chick yesterday who said her favorite FF game was X-2 simply because of how nice the graphics looked "WHAT THE HELL!?" I say! "What the hell..."

:fuckyou: EVERYONE!

dont take it too seriously graphics has become the main selling point in gaming and most newbs/girls like game for all the wrong reasons (most not all for you females out there!) i was born in '87 (making me 18) and i still prefer games from when i was younger. i just can get into older games (atari,commodor,amiga,etc) not because of the graphics. more because i didnt grow up with those. my cousin is like 10 and he has never even heard of the nes. he thinks that n64 was the greatest system ever and we all know it had more flaws and drawbacks than anyone wants to count. think about it this way the way we idolized nes (or atari or whatever) they do the same with n64 and xbox. however the ones that are our age and blindly follow wherever xbox and ps2 take them are idiots and nothing more than the dreaded...casual gamer.

PhatPlaya
May 2nd, 2005, 23:40
dont take it too seriously graphics has become the main selling point in gaming and most newbs/girls like game for all the wrong reasons (most not all for you females out there!) i was born in '87 (making me 18) and i still prefer games from when i was younger. i just can get into older games (atari,commodor,amiga,etc) not because of the graphics. more because i didnt grow up with those. my cousin is like 10 and he has never even heard of the nes. he thinks that n64 was the greatest system ever and we all know it had more flaws and drawbacks than anyone wants to count. think about it this way the way we idolized nes (or atari or whatever) they do the same with n64 and xbox. however the ones that are our age and blindly follow wherever xbox and ps2 take them are idiots and nothing more than the dreaded...casual gamer.

Nice hypothesis .. :cool:

Raven
May 3rd, 2005, 23:27
What console have the better graphics? :confused:

hagbard
May 3rd, 2005, 23:49
The one you love to, SNES graphics are perfect for me ;)

Well, imho Xbox it's the most powerfull console so far in pure processing power, but GC has probably the most advanced GPU, which not means it's "the best". I think this is a bit useless if you ask me, I only care for the games' quality so the hability/creativity/etc of developers it's the most important question. Of course the graphics are truly important but not for the self, the balance of gfx and how it's related with the game it's what matters for me about "picture quality". So a game it's as good as the relationship between gfx/sound/playability I feel, not a mere aspect but everyone and specially how are related each other.

Raven
May 3rd, 2005, 23:55
Yeah SNES... :bow:

Genome
May 5th, 2005, 14:45

Well, imho Xbox it's the most powerfull console so far in pure processing power, but GC has probably the most advanced GPU, which not means it's "the best". I think this is a bit useless if you ask me, I only care for the games' quality so the hability/creativity/etc of developers it's the most important question. Of course the graphics are truly important but not for the self, the balance of gfx and how it's related with the game it's what matters for me about "picture quality". So a game it's as good as the relationship between gfx/sound/playability I feel, not a mere aspect but everyone and specially how are related each other.

in that case what system you have doesn't matter since they multi-system release most games except special ones that are only property to that system (zelda/mario,halo,final fantasy) :happy: i dont like the idea of multi system release personally though, but i can see its merits.

hagbard
May 5th, 2005, 15:01
I was not talking about marketing nor franchises, just games

Raven
May 5th, 2005, 20:54
Yep like consoles... :)

Tomtaru
May 19th, 2005, 20:26
My first RPG was Suikoden 2 and I liked it very much go sprites go

Battey
May 21st, 2005, 20:37
i am 15 and i actualy like retro games. per example, on SNES, i played like mad all the FF games, but guess what? stupid computer had to format. played and finished both tales of phantasia and star ocean

when i hear the super mario land song, tears come to my eyes, oh i love that game

Grady
May 28th, 2005, 02:18
I'm not trying to be rude to younger people either. I mean I was born in '82 myself, but when I look at my bro and other people his age who are only 2 years younger than me, they just have no appreciation for the classics.

To his credit he wants FF: Dawn of Souls for christmas, and even though its a bastardized version of FF1, I plan to pick it up for him. He also likes Tactics Advance, and did like Tactics PSX, but found advanced more fun.
I was born in 1990 and i have a huge love for old games, i have all the old FF games.. On emulator of cource, you can't exactly buy them anymore :S I'd have to say one of my favorite RPG games is Mystic Quest on the SNES, it's got fairly good soundtracks and graphics for a SNES game, and i don't see any PS2 RPGS that compare to the goodness of old games anymore, they all suck except for a few decent ones i like :l

PS- NOTHING BEATS GTA2! THE NEWER ONES SUCK! CLASSICS RULE!

yugiohmaster
June 5th, 2005, 02:06
I was born in 1990 that makes me 14 and I love retro games especially donkey kong for snes my mom loved that donkey kong she said it was cute in snes but he looks stupid now in gc and etc and people can't forget that most good games started down from scratch they all came from genesis and snes and snes those where the good old days

jv9
June 6th, 2005, 11:08
Well, I'm born in 1991 and I love retro games too. Especially the snes games.
One of my favourite games were Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link To The Past, Street Fighter II and so on..And I'm still playing retro games..

Peefy
June 21st, 2005, 14:37
'89 all the way.
I don't really like many 3D games, so I guess I'm as cool as the rest of you guys.
Favourite game ever: "Day of the Tentacle"
Second: "Colonization"
And then the lists goes one with various platform and point&click-adventures.

cloud4004
June 22nd, 2005, 01:37
Wow... This is still going? I started this thread a looong time ago.

Jale
June 22nd, 2005, 03:34
Favourite game ever: "Day of the Tentacle"
Is that game in which a geek saves the world from two naughty tentacles?

Peefy
June 22nd, 2005, 07:43
Is that game in which a geek saves the world from two naughty tentacles?
Yeah, or that is,
it's the game where Bernard (a nerd), Hoagie (a stereotypical fat rock-hard teen) and Laverne (a mental girl) saves the world from an evil Tentacle (Purple Tentacle) and his not-so-evil-friend (Green Tentacle).
They do this with traveling in time, but something goes wrong, so one is sent to the future, one of the past, and one not at all.

It's the sequel of Maniac Mansion.

cibomatto2002
July 11th, 2005, 02:24
true cloud4004 like dragon worrior 1,2,3,4 those are good games on the nes try them people