Game Problem: How do I get old pc games to work on my pc?

NorseChief

I am using windows xp and I tried the other day to install this old game, "Die Hard Trilogy" on my pc but it says the game only runs on windows 95' and is not supported by windows xp.

Does anybody know how I can get these old pc games to work? I recently got this emulator for old dos games, "dosbox" and I thought I could use this to install and run this old game. But I cannot get dosbox to run the game from the cd.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If dos box does not work try the xp emulation tab. Right click on the executable to get to it.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
dosbox is your best bet. you have to 'mount' the files in dosbox. just read up about it a bit.

NorseChief

dosbox is your best bet. you have to 'mount' the files in dosbox. just read up about it a bit.

When I try to mount the D: with dosbox it just says the drive does not exist. So my problem is that I can't install the game (so that I can access the exe file to run it) in the first place, and I can't mount the D: drive.

I know how to run other dos games with dosbox, I have no problem with that:

Mount c c:/

c:

dc oldgames

dir

cd dukenu~1

Duke3d.exe

Do you have to mount the D: drive some other way in order to install this game on dosbox?

NorseChief

K, I fixed the compatability issues (just had to go to properties and change compatability to windows 95') and I found out how to mount the D: drive and run games from cds on dosbox.

Unfortunately, dosbox tells me that it cannot run Die hard Trilogy.

I can now run the game but it runs a little too fast at times. I am still trying to sort that out. Can anybody give me advice?

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
It is too bad that XP doesnt adjust the CPU to accomadate when your running a program in 95/98 mode... (Would certainly make things better)

Good luck my friend!

seymoregutz

this seems to be the same problem that i have with a game called shadowman. i have it for the pc....but it's for wondows 98....i tried to run it on xp, and i keep coming up with errors scripts. do you think this dosbox would help me? i also have shadowman for the sony play station, and shadowman 2 for the ps2. can i use an emulator to run these as well? as i said in earlier posts, i'm kinda new at this emulator thing, been running reg nes games without much b.s. great game...great storyline...love to play it again

Zach

Dosbox won't help you with the Windows version..

Easiest thing would be a second PC with Windows 98 Second Edition. There is a supposed XP patch floating around, but I didn't find any sources we'd be allowed to link to.

You could try running the PSX version in an emulator, or try the N64 version with an N64 emulator as well.

Last edited: