No Future for Windows XP SP3?

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Make no mistake about it, June 30, 2008 is the beginning of the end for Windows XP, even with Service Pack 3 available for two months now, since May 6. Microsoft confirmed that the end of this month will be synonymous with the availability cut-off date through the retail and OEM channels, although there have been customers hoping until the last minute that the company would breathe new life into the predecessor of Windows Vista.
Microsoft has already postponed once the availability end date initially planned for January 30, 2008, but the company was firm on the fact that that was an exception which would not be repeating itself.

"In industry speak, this is called "end-of-sales." On June 30, Microsoft will stop distributing Windows XP as a stand-alone product that you can buy shrink-wrapped in the store. We'll also stop sending it to Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other major PC manufacturers to sell on their PCs. That said, Windows XP isn't going to disappear overnight", revealed Mthree Sweatt, Chief of Staff of the Windows Core Operating System Division (COSD) at Microsoft citing the new The Facts About the Future – Windows XP website.

Microsoft argued the need to sacrifice Windows XP on the altar of innovation and to continue focusing entirely on Window Vista. The company stressed the fact that it would not be pulling the plug on the operating system, which would continue to benefit from extended support until 2014. Mainstream support will be retired in April 2009, while Extended support will be killed in April 2014.

"You may still see copies of the software—or computers pre-loaded with it—for months, as stores and PC makers work through their inventory. Also, smaller local PC makers—known in the industry as "system builders"—can continue to sell PCs with Windows XP until January 2009. Finally, Microsoft recently announced that computers with limited hardware capabilities—devices sometimes called Netbooks or ultra-low cost PCs (ULCPC)—can carry Windows XP Home until June 2010", Sweatt added.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-The-Future-of-Windows-XP-SP3-88008.shtml

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
yeah, i was kinda shocked when they were gonna throw away windows xp out the window, almost every business uses it, now it will be forced to use vista,

spotanjo3

No, not forced to use vista. the next version is windows 7 which will be out late 2009. I am using XP and I am not letting them get over, period. That's why Microsoft is so annoying sometimes. :glare:

Zach

I don't know what everyone is so upset about.. Microsoft is a business after all. Businesses have to make money to remain afloat, and Operating System development costs huge amounts of time and money to develop.

Windows XP has been out for almost 8 years now. Microsoft can only make so much money off of XP and whatever sales are still left, before it becomes to big a liability to profits to maintain.

Look at the release dates between Windows 95, 98/se, and ME. They were out on the Market a lot shorter before being replaced by a newer version. They gap between XP and Vista was quite significant on a comparison scale.

XP's shelf life may be over, but the OS will remain viable for probably at least another 2 - 5 years, the 64-bit version being at the later end of that estimate. You may not get anymore patches, or official support; but do you really need it? XP as it is now, even without SP3, is a great, relatively stable OS. Hell Vista is just as stable, if not more so, than XP was in my usage experience. So I am quite happy with it..

As for Windows 7.. They got a lot of balls developing it outside of the USA, and it better damn well have been worth that kind of stab in the back or I won't touch it, even to pirate it, with a 10ft pole, unless I am forced to upgrade for technical/compatability reasons.

Last edited:

Zach

Why don't they care about our lives?

One of the main premises of a lot of the software they develop IS to make our lives easier to manage, in addition to making our computer experience easier and more efficient.. And no amount of BSOD or virus jokes will ever negate that fact.. If it weren't MS, it would be someone else.