Qbasic Gorillas Anyone?

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Anyone remember this one? Came with an IBM with MS-DOS 5 or 6 installed back in 92, as a friend and I played that thing for hours, on a heavy lugger of a laptop of mine with that fuzzy bright orange screen of death. Throwing exploding bananas back and forth while blowing shards out of buildings was just gnarly. Never a game like it, I even forgot about it, though no longer available nor playable, but downloadable, though what good is that without DOS-Shell...?

Last edited:

seether9111

ummmm i forget
i remember playing that in high school.cool game

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Yeah, did that Zach - got: "DOSBox", and with the file I saved from my abandoned laptop, can play that sucker once again. Heh, neat... Although, another alternative is : "Gorilla 2 - The Return"... ;)

Now I need someone to play against... :p

Zach

I used to have some pretty cool games for my IBM PC Jr. but I don't remember most of their names unfortunately..

One was a CGA colored game, where you flew a fighter plane across the screen trying to outmaneuver and kill opossing planes and I think ground targets..

Another was this balls weird game where you had to catch babies jumping out of burning buildings on a trampoline.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I had one of those older dark gray lugger IBM models. Hated that orange screen, but in 95, found a crappy VGA card and ran it into a monitor, with color that is... Helped ease some of those headaches and burning eyes. ;)

Heard of some of those, but a lot of them were "beta" types to mess around with, though the names are usually something you won't remember, as I didn't seem to even place "gorillas", instead as "apes", or "bananas" somewhere in the title instead...

A lot of those reminded me of stuff that was on Atari, as I had that along with it, but maybe the reason I checked into Windows later down the line, as DOS has always fascinated me - 98 that is...

Last edited:

Zach

I wish I still had my original C64 gear and software.. I got it as a hand me down from my grandfather when I was 10 or 11. My first real PC.

I had a amber monochrome monitor, but it did the job.. played some great games on that system, many wasted nights.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
It was like an addiction back then, though computer and gaming was a "night" thing for me as I was "out & about" during the day, typing away on that keyboard, loving the sound and feel of the keys clicking away, as I wrote lots of material. Looking back, I spent more time on that and the Atari then I do on today's computer and gaming...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
One was a CGA colored game, where you flew a fighter plane across the screen trying to outmaneuver and kill opossing planes and I think ground targets..

Remembering back, I think your talking about "Flight" - a 3D simulator (at the time that was...) of "first-person" view with a mouse moving target and tilting views. Unfortunately it seemed as a "lager" on mine, pushing it aside... Couldn't afford a better model, though rather invest in upgrades for the Atari.

Another that came with the MS-DOS was "Nibbles", a line eating numbers, though hated it with a passion as "Jake dies again"... ;) Also hated "Money", a piss-poor datasheet that keeps losing data here and there. Err... lost six months worth of crap the next day... Zork and Ultima was fun to transfer onto, making them "portable", but the messed-up battery never kept charge, so had to still rely on "power-cord" source...

I always looked forward to firing that thing up though, the beep sound as it turns on and typing away into DOS-SHELL, plus the smell of the floppy cooking in the drive... Yeah - you probably think I'm nuts, but loved that thing...

Last edited:

Zach

The game was 2D side scrolling actually.

I think the EXE was called "fly" or something.. But for some reason "flight" seemed to ring a bell.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
The game was 2D side scrolling actually.

I think the EXE was called "fly" or something.. But for some reason "flight" seemed to ring a bell.

Eh, they made clone after clone, so never can tell the difference as time went on... Some games "QBasic" came in ".bas" format while others later on appeared in ."bat" or ".exe" format...

Zach

Don't know about the Batch file deal, but I know .EXE qbasics were simply precompiled to run faster.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
The batch file was used before ".exe" to go along with the ".bas" files to hold extra "coding" and "speed up" loading time, though agreed, the later use of ".exe" was much simpler and faster. ;) Guess I should of "clarified" of this above...

I can't quite remember the model number of my IBM laptop though, but of being dark gray with an orange screen and having MS-DOS 6 installed...

-EDIT:

Found it [URL="http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/t3200/index.shtm"](http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/t3200/index.shtm)[/URL] though not an IBM, but a 1987 Toshiba (T3200), with MS-DOS 6. Got it in 1990, though mine had a battery and VGA card sticking out the empty slot on the side... Still love that great quality keyboard. Damn, got to get that thing out of storage... ;)

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I remember a little dilly in Gorillas, as a friend of mine would do as you get almost close to "nailing" him, by holding down a number key and it would run across continuously, meaning you would have to keep blowing through the lines of numbers to get to him, until someone gets punched in the shoulder... :p

Last edited: