Old Sega game I can't remember the name of!

CheeseDanish

Here is what I can remember:

It was a jet fighter game where you fight several waves of green planes, then a couple of yellow planes, and then when you shot down the red plane that came in after the waves of other planes (the red plane must have been the squad leader or something), an alien boss type ship would come down and try to destroy you with weird weapons. When you discover the bosses weakness you could win that level. Each level ended with an alien boss ship. It had kind of old graphics and I am pretty sure it was Genesis but yet again the graphics were a little better or maybe not. I can't remember to well. Also, I think it was in the mid 90's when this game was out.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great!

Thanks,
CheeseDanish

Zach

Can you remember anything else?

Was it top down, side scrolling, isometric ? Any info about the main character? A girl or guy maybe? Or did it just show a ship/plane? What did that look like? Any "inbetween" kind of screens to buy upgrades or anything like that? What kinda music did it have? (did it sound like rock, or something else)

CheeseDanish

Thank you very much for trying to help. I know my description is pretty vague. Oh, and sorry about not giving details on the perspective.

I have been searching around a bit and it looks really close to After Burner 2. But, I saw someone play through it on YouTube and it did not have an alien/high tech boss that would attack you with electricity and crazy weapons at the end of each level and I am pretty sure it had a little bit better graphics.

I remember it being like After Burner 2 but you could zoom in and go into cockpit view as well. Also, when I think of the name of the game I think Downer or Diver or something like that (I have checked Air Diver and that definitely is not it).

All I know (I have a bad memory so some of these may be slightly inaccurate for the game I am thinking about):
  • Jet fighter like After Burner with same kind of perspective and movement
  • Red, Green, and Yellow planes
  • I remember it NOT being 3D because smoke trails were gray sprites
  • End of level boss that you had to figure out how to destroy by like cracking a weak point on the bottom of the ship
  • It is not top down view but behind the plane view (maybe with cockpit view)
  • A vague memory of it MAYBE being CD based, but then again I remember my friend only having Sega stuff, so this opens up it MAYBE being on Sega CD or Sega Saturn or maybe even PS1 witch I may have thought to be Sega related (but PS1 used mostly 3D graphics so maybe not).
I really appreciate all the help and I really want to find this game.

Thanks again,
CheeseDanish

Zach

I gotta head to bed so I can get up for work tomm... Will check back after I get home from work though, and go through my roms and shooters and see if I can't help out more if you still don't get an answer by then

CheeseDanish

Well Zach, thank you very much for your help. I recently saw a YouTube video of Air Diver game play and I decided to watch till the end and low and behold the alien boss appeared. The game is definitely Air Diver! I know I said it couldn't have been Air Diver but that is because I never watched till the end!

Here is the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oaojhDmv734

I am going to now check out Super Air Diver to see if the graphics were a little better in the super version. Then again it it may have been just that it was a new game at the time and I thought the graphics were better than previous games.

Once again, thank you and I appreciate everyones help.

Last edited: