That Damn "Blue Screen Of Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jale

For now I have the situation under control. I reinstalled Windows using the repair feature of the Windows CD-ROM and it replaced the old files without deleting my old programs.

I've been in other forums looking for the meaning of the following (only most important bits):

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DC6CC)

I understand that the first bit (0x0000000A) refers to a driver conflict, but I don't understand the last one (0x804DC6CC).

Many people say it's a memory problem, but I don't see it's the problem, since I've ran that memtest tool and it told me the memory is OK. I think the problem is related to the IRQ addressing. I've checked the IRQ list and everything seems to be fine.

Like I said above, I've got the situation under control, but I don't know if this BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) will pop up again while I'm away downloading stuff (yes, it appears randomly).

Any info about this?

Crazy!

Road Runner!
Hiya yeah I've had that code too, I think it's a driver issue, you may have to look through all of your driver files i.e audio, video etc and make sure first of all that you have the latest versions of them and secondly to make sure they have a reliable compatability signature. I still get these screens, after you reboot you should get a windows error screen come up after you log on, if you do don't get rid of it, connect to the internet and send the error report and you should get a brief explanation as to why your computer crashed down and this internet explorer screen also indicates a certain file/s at times. Hope I've helped a little bit, but I don't know whether I've fixed this myself but I haven't had for ages now so...

Jale

Well, I left my PC idle for almost 4 hours and everything is fine. I'm not sure if the problem has gone, but I think the Windows repair feature did the trick. I'll leave my PC on all night to see if I get the BSoD again.

Zach

Historically this shows up for any number of reasons.. Here are all the ones I've experienced..

System Instability (caused by overclocking)..
RAM related - BAD RAM / overclocked too far
Bad driver - gotta find which one by random reinstalls.. Sometimes plain borked up windows install.

Overheating problem.. Something aint right and your CPU is getting hot as a bitch now..

These are all possible problems. Can't say which for sure.

Jale

I'm not an overclocking fan, so that can't be the problem. CPU temperature? maybe, since it doesn't have thermal paste, but I've checked on the hardware monitor on the BIOS and the temperature is OK.

I let my PC on all night and everything went OK. I think the problem is solved now.

Jale

Well, I'm back. I did the memtest thing again and here's the result: It was a bad RAM. And to my surprise, the bad RAM was a generic one, it didn't even have branding. Now I switch from an unbranded DDR 333 memory to a new Markvision DDR 400 one and I can notice it has a slightly better performance.

geezerman

You're better off installing Windows on an emulated or virtual layer. Usually, pentium II are the emulated chip with an efficiency of 35 to 85% emulated and 85 to 95% virtualized.

geezerman

Neither one.
There is no such thing as "bad" RAM. I rebuild old computers.
Windows is prone to exploits and is an unstable system, having it on a virtual or emulated layer allows you to use it without your entire computer being shut down. If the virtual machine does go, you just create a new image or- if you made a copy- boot from the copy and destroy the tainted image.
Maybe you aren't aware that programs work on a layer and the operating system doesn't know the difference between a system call and a line of code.

And, by the way, when you use different latencies in a non-Un*X system, it won't work properly.
If you actually knew something about programming, you would have told the original p[oster this and would have suggested a way such as:
Use the lower latency for swap and match the upper to the graphics card, overclock at a rate of 1.5 to 2X the set factory speed and add a fan to prevent overheating, limit services and use a simple window manager to give more RAM to the game.

The original posters of this forum used Linux and UN*X; and, I'm quite sure that some of them built emulators.

This "draft" person is also able to run his main OS, a virtual OS, a third layer, and have another person accessing the box while running a rendering program and an audio editor- all quite smoothly- on less than a gigabyte of RAM.

By the way, what happened to all of the coders and developers that used to post on here?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Neither one.
There is no such thing as "bad" RAM. I rebuild old computers.
Windows is prone to exploits and is an unstable system, having it on a virtual or emulated layer allows you to use it without your entire computer being shut down. If the virtual machine does go, you just create a new image or- if you made a copy- boot from the copy and destroy the tainted image.
Maybe you aren't aware that programs work on a layer and the operating system doesn't know the difference between a system call and a line of code.

And, by the way, when you use different latencies in a non-Un*X system, it won't work properly.
If you actually knew something about programming, you would have told the original p[oster this and would have suggested a way such as:
Use the lower latency for swap and match the upper to the graphics card, overclock at a rate of 1.5 to 2X the set factory speed and add a fan to prevent overheating, limit services and use a simple window manager to give more RAM to the game.

The original posters of this forum used Linux and UN*X; and, I'm quite sure that some of them built emulators.

This "draft" person is also able to run his main OS, a virtual OS, a third layer, and have another person accessing the box while running a rendering program and an audio editor- all quite smoothly- on less than a gigabyte of RAM.

By the way, what happened to all of the coders and developers that used to post on here?

What the F*ck are you on about?

Butters had a problem, its fixed now. Why do you need to continue this discussion?

Plus I can't see any connection between Butters' bad Ram and virutal OS'es, Unix (Hes running Windows) and Emulators

Zach

Way to bring in tons of shit that isn't even totally relevant to the conversation..

I don't care what other people run, who was here before me, or if they made emulators.. What boxes they run, or any of that crap that has nothing to do with the problem.

By the way, assclown, there IS such a thing as bad RAM. Bad RAM = bad chips or other defect with the hardware. I've identified and replaced several sticks of defective memory and I feel sorry for whoever you rebuild shit for, if you don't even believe in something as basic as faulty hardware.

Oh, by the way..

Well, I'm back. I did the memtest thing again and here's the result: It was a bad RAM. And to my surprise, the bad RAM was a generic one, it didn't even have branding. Now I switch from an unbranded DDR 333 memory to a new Markvision DDR 400 one and I can notice it has a slightly better performance.

Locked to prevent future idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.