Uncommon no$gba (or maybe Pokemon Diamond) issue

Masterfrog

So I'm emulating pokemon Diamond on no$gba... it works fine, I got working touchscreen, the speed looks good and all that, just one problem.

I can't get the controls to work! The A and B buttons work, so I can read through the text the professor says in the beginning, but when he asks if I know something of the pokemonworld, or sommit, and I have three choices, I can't press up and down to select anything, so that's what's not working. However, sometimes if I go into the settings of no$gba, no matter if I change something or not, when I got out of the settings I can for 3-4 seconds use the up/down keys to select the option "I already know" or something, so I get past that. However, when he gets to if I want to be girl or boy, I can only choose boy (since this is the standard) and the above trick doesn't seem to work. And if I choose to play as boy I can only type in my and my rivals names if I use the touchpad. And even when I get this far and into the game to start playing, I can only move around (with the direction keys) for 3-4 seconds, sometimes, using the above trick. And I don't think that's very playable... so please, if anyone knows anything about this problem, help would be very much appreciated.

Masterfrog

Yes I changed the controls, but that's not the problem. I know this because I also changed the controls of the A and B buttons and they still work, AND I tried changing the controls to many different keys and still the same problem.