Serious Problem - DMA and PIO Modes.

Jale

I have a serious problem when switching to DMA mode. DMA is very important when using a CD/DVD burner, because it allows you to burn the disc with high data transfer (burning a DVD up to 8X or 16X) and maintain the buffer level.

I currently have two devices using the same IDE port: My HDD and my DVD±RAM drive (DVD burner). My HDD is set to DMA Ultra mode 5, but my DVD±RAM drive is set to PIO mode by default, which is very slow in data transfer. I tried to switch it to DMA mode, but nothing happens. It remains on PIO mode, which is frustrating, because I just recorded a 4.7 GB DVD and it took over 40 minutes when it should be done at like 8 minutes.

The strange of this situation is that DMA mode worked before on my DVD±RAM drive.

Is there an app or method that forces this setting to be changed to DMA? If I ever need to put my HDD and my DVD±RAM separately, will this solve the problem?

Last edited:

Jale

Well, it looks like I could manage to solve this problem by running a small .vbs scritp which resets the DMA status of my devices, but I still want to know why Windows didn't let me switch back to DMA

I feel like I'm switching to Linux :dry: