A little help?

RileyRoper

Hey guys, I have a quick question about ePSXe... I've got the gameplay down perfectly visual wise, but when it comes to getting sound I'm not having as much luck... I don't have enable XA sound checked, and the reason for that is when I do, it plays music but it has a flickering sound to it that seems to be louder than the music... Can anyone help?

Last edited:

RileyRoper

Sorry for the double post, just thought I'd give a little more information... It doesn't seem to matter which sound plugin I use, because I'm getting the same results with every one I try :eek: I'm not trying to run from a cd either, but from some iso's that I ripped from them with MagicIso... Also, it doesn't appear to be the game itself either, as I've tried about 12 different ones and I continue to get the flickering sound when the music is enabled... So any help at all would be appreciated! :(

Bluedawn

well out of all the sound plugins my favorit and best one in my opition is Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 I have the options Enable Sound and Enable XA sound

RileyRoper

Well, here is my specs copied straight from the clipboard in case it helps:

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.76
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Now, as far as sound is concerned, I am currently using the Eternal SPU Plugin Lite 1.41, but that's just the one it happens to be sitting on being as I have tried plenty... On the Config sound screen, I have the following checked: Enable Sound, Enable CDDA Sound, and Enable XA sound...

On the screen to configure the plugin, for Audio device I have DirectSound selected with a Buffer size of 64... The Audio out method is set to Thread, Async mode to Simple... Under Misc, the only thing checked is Wait for XA buffer is free...

If anyone can help me solve my fizzle sound problem it would be greatly appreciated!

montpics

Unless you should tell us what is your PC specs and the game you are trying to play as well.

RileyRoper

Sure, here are my computer specs:

AMD Sempron 2500+
1.75 GHz, 224 MB of RAM
GFX card: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

That's probably all you're needing... And as far as games are concerned, I've tried a wide variety of games ranging from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (which is the one I've been playing without any music :( ) to various different rpg's (Tales of Destiny 2, Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Final Fantasy Tactics, Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2) but the results have been the same every time...

RileyRoper

Well, I've figured out my problem... Apparently it has come from the program I have used to rip the image files from... So anyone have a good program (preferably free) that I can use to rip some image files?

Zeidrich

Castlevania: SOTN - ePSXe - No Music

Does ePSXe emulate the music for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

Last edited:

vicks

Can i ask you how did you solve the problem? Did the intros run with sound? Cause mine doest, and i have tried everything and it continues to sound awful. Can you tell which configurations did you use in sound and video?

vicks

No, every game i plane runs well but the sound has a glitter, it already sounds good except for that annoying glitter.

Can you tell me which configuration in sound and video you use? That would help me greatly, my specs are:

Pentium IV.
Gforce 4 Nvidia 128 mb
Soundblaster live! 5.1
256 Ram.

Please help me, i hate that annoying sound. Or its normal?

vicks

its how if the sound stoped for less than a second it isnt a sound exactly, in fact the voices has the same problem, its like... how do i say it? Like if the sound just stoped for a tiny time. Making it sound ugly.

montpics

Try to use other emulators. If the results were the same, then there are only 3 possibilties.

01. Hardware compabilitites (Better get a better one)
02. Not fully emulated.
03. Perfectly normal. (If you try to run it on Playstation and give the very same result.

vicks

Ok thank you, the incomopatibility of hardare i dont think thats the problem, before i made a format, the emulator worked perfectly with a configuration that here gave me. But that post was deleted, can you tell whats the best configuration for a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1??? Send me the pic please. If it's a problem.

vicks

Ok, i made it work. I just had to configurate the Audio out method to SPUasync and Async mode on smooth. But thanks for all your help.