"Snow Bros." and "Gauntlet I and II"

ginetti

It is odd, but i already had snow bros. and Gauntlet both 1 and 2 in my roms folder (moved from an older mames rom folder to the new mame, from mame32 v 77 to mame32v95b

All the games would re-indicate that they were active.

Except for these two (so far as i know, could be more). What i want to know is, why did they not appear up every time i refreshed.

I had to actualy re download the roms and overwrite the current roms in the folder.

For example, if i was downloading snow bros 1, it would say "this file already exists, overwrite?" and i would.

Then upon hitting f5 in mame, it would finaly detect it.

Is there any other games that this happens with? if so i could be missing a whole bunch of games i'm not sure about.

2ndly why did this happen, surley the gaunlet or snow bros zip roms are the same as the ones i re downloaded, why did the mame32v95b not detect them untill i redownloaded and overwrote the current zip roms in the "roms" folder.

Confused...

EDIT i've noticed this is also happening with Toki, i had to redownload the rom and overwrite the current rom file in my "roms" folder for toki to be detected by mame32v95b. Why oh why? :huh:

Last edited:

Robert

Because sometimes the mame dev team find that another rom should have been included. So you need to update to get the missing rom(s).

You will probably find that most of your Galaga games are not listed any more.

hagbard

Most of the times they replace bad dumped roms with newer & confirmed ones

ginetti

is there a way to know from version mame32v77 to mame32v95b what roms i'll have to redownload because now they are not being detected?

hagbard

Give a try to ClrMamePro or RomCenter.
You also need a dat, but those rom managers can create one from scratch by using the mame version you want. I suggest make a dat with the latest mame you got, then audit your roms with thta tools. The best feature it's that can fix some roms so you saves you to download some, if select thta option. Proceed carefully, those are powerfull but a bit "dangerous" tools, so keep a a backup (you might select that option) by the case.

If you want an easier way, try the Mame32 "audit" feature on the "All games" folder of Mame32. Once you get that, copy & paste the result and you'll know what roms are you missing. DOn't worry about the "nodump" labeled, as are not available atm

Last edited:

montpics

Some of the roms names were renamed in the latest version of MAME. Moonwalker for example. And yes, it is wise to use Clrmame to check if your romsets is up to date with the current version of MAME. :cool:

hagbard

montpics

hagbard said:
Just as usual, monty :D
But I really confessed, I didn't depend too much on updating since the major changes being made from MAME based on rom names and so on. So, I just open two versions of MAME (old and new) instead. ;) :p

hagbard

Perhaps I was actually talking about me ;) :D

Last edited: