Computer Problem: SNES9X changed INFCACHE.1 into a rom...

Tseng

Hello, after using Snes9x for the first time today, and on top of that using a ps3 controller on pc for the first time as well, the controller wasn't found by motioninjoy (also first time using). While I am sure that I made a mistake with that program, my problem in this topic stems from Snes9x: After looking up what to do, I decided to delete the possibly faulty INFCACHE.1, so that it could reinstall itself. Without pics all I can say is it was described as Snes9x rom and also had that controller picture. Somewhere I read that changing the Valid.Ext would help, so I renamed it to .txt and opened it, expecting to find a "1" entry as one of the usable file extensions. Among others there was a "N1" entry instead but that doesn't seem wrong. After deleting and reinstalling INFCACHE.1 the problem remains. Also tried ZSNES before but I cannot stand that (retro?) interface.

In short:
How to solve the problem mentioned in the title, or what emulator other than Snes9x and ZSNES is also generally good and works with a ps3 controller?

Tseng

I decided to delete Snes9x, deleted INFCACHE.1 again, same result. Renamed it and changed it back, it's a rom. Made a new .txt and changed it to .1, it's a rom. So, does anyone know where Windows 7 decides that?

Ok, I found it and changed the program to open .1 files to Editor, wasn't like that in the beginning but at least it shows as a .1 file and not .snes9x .

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Is there some sort of fancy driver for the ps3 controller? Usually it could be managed by the default Windows controller configuration.