Emulator Problem: FF7 on EPSXE too fast because of sound plugin?

Chobtime

Hi there, I've been trying hard to get FF7 to run on my PC and although the graphics are amazing the sound is quite buggy

When I use the Internal sound plug in the sound gets distorted in battle along with other sound effects.

When I use the Eternal Plugin I notice the sound is actually fine BUT the Game runs too fast when ever I use the Eternal Plugin, I am not sure whether my video settings are having a conflict with the sound making the game run too fast but I only get it on this Plugin.

Can anyone give me help on what I should do?

PC specs:

Intel i7 950 3.07Ghz
6GB DDR3 Ram
AMD HD Radeon 6950
EPSXE 1.7.0

Video

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 936x702 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000002]

Sound

Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41

DirectSound Buffer size: 64

Audio out: SPUasync

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Ah, that sucks. have you tried ePSXe 1.6.0 instead? Sometimes it has quirks like that. If none of those work, I know that it works on pSX. 666th post, haha.

Last edited:

Chobtime

Wow um.. the Sound is now perfect in ePSXe 1.6.0, only Issue I have now is that sometimes it runs slow on certain areas, mainly with battles at some points, can you figure why that might be?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Um there is a game fix for that, I think its "fake a pause between loading areas, It happens in Chrono Cross. First in the graphics settings check off "Special game-fixes" and then click the "..." to the right of it. A window should pop up and then you should check off "Adjust Framebuffer Access" It should work then.

Chobtime

Ok this is weird, I did the game fix you told me, that didn't work, but then I went back to trying it on the newest 1.0.7 emulator and now it is literally working fine, I am guessing it is because I needed that game fix in the first place... glad to know we got it working, Thanks Mupen 64 Man! :)