Noob w/ an interesting project..

Orzunoid

Hey guys, I'm not new to using emulators but I am new to the technical end of it. What I want to do is create a console(out of a WinXP PC) that plays multiple emulators(something like MAME or MESS) and can plug into a TV and act as a simple gaming console. From what I've seen online and at various forums people have done this, but here is where my idea differs; there are a few features I would like to have included:

• CD drive to read and play disc-based games (PC/PS1/PS2/Dreamcast, etc.)
  • Multiple USB ports (with controller support) for multiplayer and loading ROMs
  • Support for loading/saving from old memory cards(using USB connection)

I realize it's a tall order, but it's just an idea I had. Do you guys think this sounds possible? Figured I'd ask the experts :)

Ӈades

That is a tall order. I'm no expert, but I doubt you could get any online functionality, though you probably knew that. PS3 and Xbox360 emulators don't exist now, and I don't know a decent Xbox emulator, though you probably know this too.

Good luck :D

Orzunoid

Ӈades;110991 said:
That is a tall order. I'm no expert, but I doubt you could get any online functionality, though you probably knew that. PS3 and Xbox360 emulators don't exist now, and I don't know a decent Xbox emulator, though you probably know this too.

Good luck :D

Thanks! I have no doubt that having a wifi feature or any online access would be too much, and I can live without it. And really, I didn't plan to have PS3 or 360 support either, I was hoping to have systems up to perhaps PS2 level or even PS1 if that's too complicated. At the very least, if disc-based console support is a no-go, I want to have PC cd-rom game support(pre-WinVista), perhaps working something like DOSBOX in there somehow.

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Did Hjades just give you the answer to everything you didn't ask?

Dude first thing you should know about anything.... everything is possible. It might not be easy... But that's something you shouldn't be afraid of if you really want to get the job done.

Last edited:

Orzunoid

Yeah, I do believe at this point anything should be possible. The things I mentioned are just some things I don't want to deal with because I imagine they will be complicated.

I think one of the main things I haven't really addressed is that there are no frontends that I really like, and if I go through with this project I'd want to make one on my own(I'm a bit of a perfectionist). My programming ability is lacking, though I have taken numerous college-level classes dealing with the C language. I think it would help, but I really have no idea what frontend programmers use these days(C++ maybe?)