Device that runs most of the major emulators?

Woodscape718

Hey all,

Looking to see if there currently exists a device (non-portable type) that is able to run most of the major emulators (Atari/NES/SNES/Sega/GB/MAME/Etc). Basically I want to set up a dedicated emulator machine for my game room tv, with usb inputs to be able to use my usb game controllers. I realize the most apparent option is a computer; however I wanted to avoid having a dedicated computer just for this purpose. I figure if they have portable emulator machines available they would have something that also meets my needs. Oh and the only console I own is a PS3 which I don?t plan on soft/hard modding. If there isn't such a device curious what the easiest/cheapest route would be? Any information would be much appreciated.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Cheap shuttle PC is the best way to go. Set it up with a nice front end and a couple of gamepads and you're sorted.

thanamesjames

imo, for older emulators like what you want, the Wii or the original Xbox are the ways to go! Preferably I would choose the Wii due to size, ease of hacking/installation, and because the classic controller really is the PERFECT classic controller. Where as Xboxs are quite large and the controllers aren't quite as nice for classic gaming... although you can buy an xbox for 50 bucks or less these days. Anyways both systems will play any emulator you just listed very well. Below is a video showing how cool the Wii can be. I will say, if you are the adventurous type, there are tutorials (soldering required) on how to turn the SNES pad into an Xbox pad, so you could have a pretty nice classic gaming setup for cheap... but imo the xbox controller alone doesn't cut it.

Wii Menu

Last edited: