What will Ubuntu 10.04 bring to the table?

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
It?s almost that time again ? time to start chatting up the next release coming out of the Ubuntu-verse. I know, I know?it seems the tires of 9.10 were just kicked. They were. Ubuntu 9.10 was well received, but now something bigger and better is coming around the corner. But what should be expected of Ubuntu? How can they one-up themselves, after the hat-trick they pulled with 9.10? Well, I have taken a peek under the hood of Lucid Lynx and I really liked what I saw.

As you may know, Ubuntu has a very regular release schedule. Some say this prolific schedule gets in the way of users growing accustomed to the distribution. The minute a release gains a modicum of familiarity, Ubuntu releases another, better version. On the other hand, Ubuntu offers what is called a Long Term Support version. LTS releases happen every two years and enjoys support for 3 years. So instead of jumping on every release, you can upgrade only when an LTS release comes out. Ubuntu 10.04 is an LTS release (due out in April 2010), so users could hop onto this release and ride it until 12.04 is released. But what will 10.04 bring to the table? Let?s find out.

New Look

Figure 1

Figure 1

Even though GNOME 3 will not be released in time for 10.04, Lucid Lynx will be getting a major face lift. The Ayatana Team of Ubuntu developers are working on an enhanced version of GTK+ that will include RGBA support. What does this mean? You know that sleek Aero interface that Windows Vista and 7 used by default? A Linux take on that theme will be enabled, out of the box, for 10.04. If you are more visual, then take a look

Read more here

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/12/11/what-will-ubuntu-10-04-bring-to-the-table/

SEVENFOOTSWORD

That's a little harsh, Ana. I'm on ubuntu 10.04. What did it bring to the table... It brings a more refined user interface. That user interface being made for end users of course. Ubuntu is an OS that has obligated itself to bring an OS for the masses. If not already, linux will be a major contender in the computing arena less than 10000000000000000 years -- that's for sure. Ubuntu 11.04 is out right now. It has a completely different look that caters more to the end user. Basically erasing the cmd line use.