NTSC or PAL

rasputin

more tv-out questions abound...

i bought a european sony tv that supports both PAL & NTSC.
now i know ntsc is faster, but pal has a better vertical resolution & better colours.

i'm curious about which versions of games i should get for emulation... do you actually see a difference in image size vertically, or do the small black bars at top & bottom remain on both versions?

since most games are made in usa & japan (ntsc) do the pal versions really make full use of the signal type? or are they straight conversions with missing frames?

thanks

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
correct me if I'm wrong guys...

but as far as pal/ntsc goes for emulation it only dictates the language you may get. In some cases pal will emulate and ntsc will not. The fact its pal/ntsc is irrelevant for output because the emulator handles the output. So once the emulator reads it, its in native PC format ( if you will ) the DirrectX or OpenGl will send the raw data to your video card and the card will do the pal/ntsc you select for output.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
im with you on this one. far as i know it just affects emulaters output resolotion

rasputin

it certainly does affect sound. when using an ntsc game on a pal television, the sound stutters terribly unless v-sync is turned off, which leads to image tearing; not so noticeable on a NES games, but very noticeable on psx!

this sound issue is present regardless of refresh rate or resolution until a pal 50hz game is run instead, which is why I got my hands on a pal/ntsc tv...

so my original question still stands, hope someone can give me an answer. thanks

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
it certainly does affect sound. when using an ntsc game on a pal television, the sound stutters terribly unless v-sync is turned off, which leads to image tearing; not so noticeable on a NES games, but very noticeable on psx!

this sound issue is present regardless of refresh rate or resolution until a pal 50hz game is run instead, which is why I got my hands on a pal/ntsc tv...

so my original question still stands, hope someone can give me an answer. thanks

As stated "its irrelevant for output because the emulator handles the output" I dont care if its pal, ntsc, SECAM, or anything else. The emulator decodes this information. Sure if the audio is interpreted different the pitch could change ill buy that but not the image wont.

you have to remember your decoding the machine instructions here, not video. In the case of audio , yes its more then likely streaming or passing that info along. Now if there are pre-rendered videos, then yes you could gain an advantage there but during game play you will not see any Chang in video.

Last edited: