ePSXe vs. PSX

BrownThunder209

Black Magic
Hi everyone.

Its been awhile since I last posted but ive had question thats been nagging me for a few days now. Which emulator is better, epsxe or psx? I'd appreciate if somone could enlighten me as to the pros and cons of each emulator as well as which OS it runs best on.

Thanks in advance!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
PSX favours more accurate emulation and doesn't offer so many optios for tweaking the look of the games.

ePSXe uses less accurate emulation (favouring hacks), but offers a raft of plug-in support to enhance the way the games look and sound.

I don't think either Emu has specific Vista builds yet although I'm not aware of anyone having significant issues running with Vista. They are designed for XP though.

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I think you'd be happier with ePSXe because as FatTrucker said it uses less accurate emulation and tends to air on the side of playability and speed. Long story short, more games are playable in less accurate emulators. The general rule is that the more accurate the emulation is, the slower the emulator runs. When discussing emulators for old systems like Atari or Colecovision, this doesn't much matter and the more accurate the better. However with PlayStation or Nintendo64 favoring hacks or enhancements via plug-in support may be the difference between being able to play a game and not being able to play a game. I like to keep the top two or three emulators for each system installed. I start with the more accurate emulator and if it plays the game I want well enough, I use it. If it doesn't, I go to the next emulator until I find one that allows me to play my games at an acceptable level of speed with the lowest amount of glitches. PlayStation emulation has come a long way though, it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago.

BrownThunder209

Black Magic
Thanks for the replies!

I had been wondering for awhile how the different emulators stacked up to each other because I would sometimes get akward emulation out of epsxe and wondered if I should try a different emulator. I of course am way too lazy to download and install a new emu:D

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Plug in based emulators are the most work because to get the best results you have to tweak each game.

If you're looking for quick and simple try a couple oldies: Bleem! and Virtual Game Station (with the xp patch). They're crippleware and I can't tell you how to get the full version, but you seem like a smart guy. You find them. They haven't been updated in ages, the companies that made them have long since shut down, and the compatibility won't be nearly as high as a current emulator, but for the games that they do play they work fine with nearly no configuration at all. I can put Final Fantasy 9 in my CD-ROM drive right now and play it under VGS changing a single setting.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
As with most systems it's good to include more than one emulator. Some games that don't work on one emu might work on the other. So I'd go for them both!

Reactions: Jay