Arkanoid style movment in mame?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I was wondering, how does a person set up a game like Arkanoid so that the dial works like a dial or wheel? My Dial is a joy stick x_axis. so left goes left and right goes right. but when I turn my dial to the left the game paddle should be on the left side not start moving left?

in other words like the mouse.. If my x_axis goes from -256 (left) - to 0 ( center ) - to 256 (right). Then when its -256 my paddle on the game should be all the way left,. 0 should be centered and 256 should be right. Surly mame supports that right? Can I tell mame my joystick is a paddle or mouse some how?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If you are using MameUI or one of its variants go into the controller config menu (Options>Default Game Options>Controller Mapping) and you can assign whichever control you are using to whicever device you want to use it for.

If you're using commandline mame the same options exist in the ini file.

Also if you open the TAB menu in-game there are adjustable analogue sensitivity settings there where you can adjust the analogue input sensitivity and also adjust the digital sensitivity if you are using a digital input device as an analogue controller.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Also if you open the TAB menu in-game there are adjustable analogue sensitivity settings there where you can adjust the analogue input sensitivity and also adjust the digital sensitivity if you are using a digital input device as an analogue controller.
Yeah, thats not what I need that just adjusts the level at which it moves, and the speed.

If you are using MameUI or one of its variants go into the controller config menu (Options>Default Game Options>Controller Mapping) and you can assign whichever control you are using to whicever device you want to use it for.
- This may work... but I dont see such an option. I do see a select joystick map. However it only wants a file, that of which I dont know how to set up?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The main issue with that is that your joystick analogue input will be different to the spinner input the game is expecting. I'm presuming the joystick is pot based where a wheel or dial is optical or mechanical so the signals aren't the same.

The movement is progressive, so it doesn't read your joystick at -256 and read that as all the way left because with a spinner there is no absolute left or absolute right value, there is only left or right and a differentiation of relative speed in the given direction, the paddle in the game moves at variable speed in whichever direction based on progressive digital input based on the resolution of the original spinner. So its likely spinner based games will read the analogue values from your stick and convert them to a speed value, so -256 will mean move left at full speed where -156 will mean move left at a slower speed.

The only thing you can do is to adjust the sensitivity until you get a level that feels comfortable (or use an optical device like a mouse).

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The main issue with that is that your joystick analogue input will be different to the spinner input the game is expecting. I'm presuming the joystick is pot based where a wheel or dial is optical or mechanical so the signals aren't the same.
I would tend to agree, but the mouse does a perfect job. If the joystick would just ack more like a mouse the game would not know the difference. As you know the mouse moves relative to its position. If you move the mouse 5 inches it will be proportional to the screen. The joystick moves based on amount. If I hold the joystick right at 50% it will move at speed X, if I move the joystick full right, it moves at x2.. So what I need is for the joystick to move relative to the screen like the mouse. If what you say is true ( mapping the joystick to the mouse ) then 'm in luck.

The movement is progressive, so it doesn't read your joystick at -256 and read that as all the way left because with a spinner there is no absolute left or absolute right value, there is only left or right and a differentiation of relative speed in the given direction, the paddle in the game moves at variable speed in whichever direction based on progressive digital input based on the resolution of the original spinner.
- Again I follow you, but the mouse did the job, so I need to trick the joystick in to thinking its a mouse.

The only thing you can do is to adjust the sensitivity until you get a level that feels comfortable (or use an optical device like a mouse).
The sensitivity , is simple one value for speed the other a dead zone. Neither will do.

I appreciate your help, but still think there is a way to beat this. Did the original game have a track ball like centipede? I have played breakout( arkanoid) style games for 20 years. They have always been one of my favorites. I never played one on the arcade though. If it does have a track ball and you have to spin it to get it to move, I dont see that very playable? The way to play a break out style game is like the nes version that came with the knob.

This is what I have
base_media

Its not a joystick but, it acts like one. And this is used via a n64 to usb adapter. But when I use it all the way right is like joystick right. It acts just like the nes knob that came with arkanoid.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Breakout had a spinner (dial) which works on exactly the same principal as a mouse albeit only on the horizontal axis, so it has a notched wheel inside bisected by an optical sensor that reads pulses of light as the notches rotate and convert them into a signal.

The problem you have with the joystick is its not an optical positional device like a mouse or spinner, with a mouse you can move 5 inches left and stop and the paddle on screen will also stop moving, with a joystick you have to return to centre to cease movement as moving it halfway left will still be sending a signal to the game telling it to carry on moving left. TBH there's not really an ideal solution as the game is designed for progressive optical input and your joystick can't do that.
The only solution is to adjust the sensitivity until you reach a spot where the paddle onscreen accelerates and decelerates at an acceptable level dependent on how far you are moving the stick.

From what you're describing I'm presuming the input you have is either digital or pot based analogue, in either case you need an optical device to properly address the original hardware. You have to remember the NES game was programmed from the ground up to react properly to digital input but the arcade game wasn't.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Breakout had a spinner (dial) which works on exactly the same principal as a mouse albeit only on the horizontal axis, so it has a notched wheel inside bisected by an optical sensor that reads pulses of light as the notches rotate and convert them into a signal.

The problem you have with the joystick is its not an optical positional device like a mouse or spinner, with a mouse you can move 5 inches left and stop and the paddle on screen will also stop moving, with a joystick you have to return to centre to cease movement as moving it halfway left will still be sending a signal to the game telling it to carry on moving left. TBH there's not really an ideal solution as the game is designed for progressive optical input and your joystick can't do that.
The only solution is to adjust the sensitivity until you reach a spot where the paddle onscreen accelerates and decelerates at an acceptable level dependent on how far you are moving the stick.

From what you're describing I'm presuming the input you have is either digital or pot based analogue, in either case you need an optical device to properly address the original hardware. You have to remember the NES game was programmed from the ground up to react properly to digital input but the arcade game wasn't.

Hey FT, thx for helping. I think there is a degree of confusion here. But for clarification I got it working in a manner of sorts.. I downloaded "joystick 2 mouse" and set the mouse right to absolute and same with the left. now it does exactly what I want it to do. But mame does not see mouse movements, it looks at the device ;( . Is there a way to set the joystick to absolute scree position that you know of.

Also if you want to know what I mean download this simple app. here and set both left and right to this:
snap.JPG

Make sure to save and apply. You would get a much better idea of the behavior I'm looking for. If its too much to ask, then I thank you for your help.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Looks like a handy app. I've got a few mame cabs with various controls though so play spinner and trackball games using the real hardware. ;)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Looks like a handy app. I
Well it would be if it actually worked.. The mouse will not move in mame. I did find another app and it moved the mouse but there software didnt support absolute. Still do see why mame does not have this option.

Also what does controller mapping do? Nothing happens when I try it? The inputs all work as they are specified in the in game menu. If controller mapping is suppository influencing these, its not working for me.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You need to go to 'options'>'default game options'>'controllers' and click the enable mouse box.

Then go to 'options'>'default game options'>'controller mapping' and specify which types of control you want to use the mouse for.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You need to go to 'options'>'default game options'>'controllers' and click the enable mouse box.

Then go to 'options'>'default game options'>'controller mapping' and specify which types of control you want to use the mouse for.
Hey FT, thx did that but mouse controls mouse, joystick controls joystick. It is as though that option has no effect.