Emulator Problem: Graphic problems with SSF Emulator

rezkar

Hey everyone, i downloaded SSF(the latest prototype version) emulator and tried running Legend Of Oasis(US) on it, and to my surprise it worked perfectly and i progressed quite far.

The following day i ran th emulator again, but this time when i started moving around on the screen, there was motion blur.
I then turned off the auto frame rate skip, and it was gone but the emulator was crawling cause im running SSF on a not so fast laptop, but anyway it was working great until this motion blur.

So i thought if i reinstall SSF and start everything fresh it would be gone but to no avail :(.

Anyone know how whats going on please help, i really wanna get into the game again, but the motion blur spoils everything.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If it worked fine then suddenly started slowing down, my first guess would be that something else is running in the background perhaps a screensaver or Antivirus scan.

rezkar

Thanks so much for the quick reply FatTrucker, i appraciat that :)

The thing is, SSF has Auto Field Skip enabled by default and it makes the game run much faster and is essential for me, but whenever i enabled it i get motion trails on the main character and surrounding objects like other characters, treees etc. Its so annoying man, i just cannot understand why its doing this now.I mean i can switch Auto Field Skip off and the motion trails are gone, but then the game runs ssssuper slow. :(

I know it cannot be the emulator cause it worked great fro hours man, and then i switched off and the next day motion trails and no matter how many times i download a fresh copy of SSF and put it in a new folder the same problem.

So im guessing it must be either XP, or something else, i cleaned the registry, checked the drivers, direct x 9c also installed and still no joy :'(

Maaaaan, just when i was in emulator heaven this has to happen, please help man!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
If its leaving motion trails (basically not clearing data from the screen) then it could be a memory(ram) issue. Either the memory is not working properly or overheating or some other application is using it.

Try running SSF in a window, then hit Ctrl,Alt, and Del to bring up the processes menu to see what's running and what resources are being used.

rezkar

Wow, i did what you said and as soon as i enabled SSF my cpu jumps to 100% and just stays there, and for PF its using about 670megs , but other than hat i cant really see any other programs using up all the memory or cpu for that matter.

I think it cant be healthy that the cpu jumps to 100% and stays there all the time while SSF is enabled, defo soemthing fishy going on....

rezkar

I could also do a print screen and send you the pics of whats going on since im not that clued up on what should and shouldnt be running.

Let me know if this will help solve the problem.

rezkar

Btw, im running an Acer, Travelmate, Intel Celeron M processor 420(1.6Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)

512mb ddr2

60gig of which 9 are left

Mobile Intel 940 GML Express Chipset

Hope this also helps

brettsuo

It sounds like your laptop is too slow to run SSF. Read this link about the minimum recommended requirements:

http://ssftribute.emuunlim.com/faq.php#requirements

You might try changing the settings in the options > EZ settings tab. Try changing it to the highest compatibility setting, close SSF then restart it. If that doesn't work just try the other settings. If none of these work then you probably do have a memory issue as fat trucker said.

It could be that your since your RAM is so limited that your computer was using the paging file system (extra hard drive space) to compensate. It may sound ridiculous, but 9 GB of "free" memory might not be enough to perform all of the file swapping operations that the paging file system uses at optimal speed. Further explanation of this gets pretty technical and I'm no expert but I would recommend freeing up hard drive space any way you can. If you have an external hard drive then stick all of the data you don't need on there and then defragment your hard drive. Once again, try fiddling with the options in SSF and if that doesn't work then you're kinda screwed.

According to that link I posted, your system is far below the recommended requirements. When I encounter problems like this with my PC I try to think of what I changed recently. It could be something as small as filling up your hard drive just a little too much.

I recently reformatted my hard drive and re-installed windows on my 6 year old PC and had a drastic overall performance increase, even though I like to think I keep my PC very clean and free of unnecessary files and programs. Windows just has a tendency to slow down with time, so if you have the time and patience and recovery disks, reformat your drive (after backing up your data, of course). That is the absolute best way to maximize the performance of your machine, so if that doesn't work then you pretty much need an upgrade.

Sorry for such a long post, but I was looking around at SSF stuff and thought I might be able to help, since you haven't yet gotten the response you were looking for.

rezkar

Sorry for my late reply, thanks so much for your help Brettsuo i really appreciate that, you are absolutley right dude, i need a major upgrade :)

Now i'll go rob a bank and im back in business, lol

Sometimes i just think it would make more sense to order a second hand chipped Sega Saturn and just get roms online :)

These emulators are great, but i cannot understadn why i need a supercomputer to run an old console emulator, anyway.

Thanks again

Rez

brettsuo

Apparently the saturn had some complex hardware in it that used several processors. For example, it could be that one processor was dedicated to rendering the video and one processor was dedicated to reading the cd information and one processor controlled the relay of information or something like that. It's difficult to use one processor to do all of the jobs of several processors. That's why they recommend having a multiple core processor to use SSF.

Hope that makes sense.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
It doesn't need to be anything amazing to run SSF though. I have it running absolutely fine on an Old Athlon64 2.2Ghz with 1 Gb of Ram.

rezkar

Thanks so much Brettsuo, i really apprciate that, now i knowwhat i need to do :)

Buy a real chipped Sega Saturn, hehe

Peace

rezkar

Oops i seem to have posted uncessacary, hehe i forgot to check page 2, sorry guys :)

First off i would lik eto say thanks to Brettsuo, yes i understand that it used many processors and a dual or quad core would be ideal.

To Fattrucker i also wanna say thanks, man you give me hope :), It seems i wont be needing areal Saturn after all , yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa!!

YOU guys are the BEST!!!! :D