Suggestions for good PC gamepad that works well with Project64 emulator.

Tom93M

Noob
Can anyone please suggest a decent PC gamepad that works well with the project64 N64 emulator.

I am looking for a cheap, effective gamepad that has similar buttons, layout etc that works well.

Please reply if you can help :)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Your best bet is either using an X-Box 360 Pad or a Dual Shock Playstation pad. They both have enough buttons to cover all the N64 inputs and they both have analogue sticks to emulate the analogue stick on the N64 pad.

You can of course use a real N64 pad if you're lucky enough to be able to track down one of the very limited supply of authentic adaptoids that convert them for PC use.

Mystic

Banned

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
They aren't adaptoids though and aren't as successful at converting the pad properly. Which is why real adaptoids go for so much money when they become available.

the_EMU_kid

Just buy an ps2 look-alike joypad(usb) they are cheap(10-15$) and realy good

Atleast thats what i am using :)
P.S almost al tutorials for most emulators uses those:happy:so it will be easy to configure it

Last edited:

Mystic

Banned
Those generic "Ps2 look alikes" are garbage. I've broken 2 and got one that was bugged as hell (ever few minutes every button defaulted as down and you just had to wait for it to pass). I now have a ps2 usb converter and a ps2 controller, and it works flawlessly, you just gotta get used to using the right joystick as your C buttons. :p

the_EMU_kid

Those generic "Ps2 look alikes" are garbage. I've broken 2 a
look at me i am the maniac that breaks "Ps2 look alikes" joypads;)

i got mine for 25euro(31.7 U.S. dollars) 2 year ago and is still good(even if now is worth less like 15-20 euro)

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
look at me i am the maniac that breaks "Ps2 look alikes" joypads;)

i got mine for 25euro(31.7 U.S. dollars) 2 year ago and is still good(even if now is worth less like 15-20 euro)

Yeah, I got mine for less than that and it has worked well for over a year. Of course there is difference in quality between brands, and either Mystic isn't treating his pads right or he has had a run of bad luck. But the pads aren't *that* bad.

But I agree that a real PS2 controller is a great buy!

the_EMU_kid

but if you have spare change FatTruker is right 360 must be the best(and you will have it for year to go)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
They aren't adaptoids though and aren't as successful at converting the pad properly. Which is why real adaptoids go for so much money when they become available.
Yeah and some n64 pads dont work right. - FYI - I have found the cause of that and fixed it in my version and mine supports game cube. No PSX yet, and no mempacks or rumble but working on that.. I still plan to re-create that adaptoid..

Last edited:

Mystic

Banned
The first one I broke was a Duelshock, and the second was a Phillips. Both were like $15. Get what you pay for I guess.

The one that bugged was a Phillips too.

I did treat them bad at all. God just hates me :p

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Yeah and some n64 pads dont work right. - FYI - I have found the cause of that and fixed it in my version and mine supports game cube. No PSX yet, and no mempacks or rumble but working on that.. I still plan to re-create that adaptoid..

Those analog "defects" in the original N64 controllers where the most problem (jerks and unwanted free movements) - of course never understood why Nintendo just didn't build the damn rumble pack motors in the handles and memory pack in a slot above the controller port.... ah... Miyamoto - always leading Nintendo astray and doing things the hard way.... He even messed up things with Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
A bunch of those adaptoids are up on Ebay now. Better get them fast :p

Ah, forget that - a convertor for the Gamecube controller works much better (being nice of them to fix the analog defect this time around). Besides, lost my temper and along with a few N64 analogs back in the early days... Damn those where some glitchy controllers. Ended up creating "modded" types for the consol to finally be able to enjoy the game without losing some steam...

Mystic

Banned
I never really had a problem with my Nintendo 64 controllers. After the one that came with the system broke I bought 2 of those fat ones, and they are still working today.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I never really had a problem with my Nintendo 64 controllers. After the one that came with the system broke I bought 2 of those fat ones, and they are still working today.
- I personally never understood the deal with n64. To me they were great? Actually I use them still as my main Mame controller. They work great as a 2/4 button ( nintendo ) or 6/3 button ( sega ) layout. Also you get analog and digital directions. Though I always just got use to the controller that came with the system.

Last edited: