N64 & SNES video issues

fabianscorpio

I use project64 1.6 for N64, and Zsnes windows version 1.51 for SNES. I have a pretty decent computer, 2+ghz 1g ram 256mb vid card (Rage). Anyway, I saw a lot of other people complaining about video issues. All my MAME roms seem to work great and flawless. But when it comes to the console emmu's, they all seem to have some glitches that hinder the 'smoothness' of graphics. Even the Sega emu (gens) that I use has these same problems. The main problem is, when the character moves or jumps, the screen scrolls depending on which, and the graphics seem to flicker. What I mean is, portions of the graphics background scenery disappear for a split second and seem to 'shift' into the correct position if the character stops moving. I didn't fool around with any graphics settings on anything. I figured I'd look and/or ask before I messed it up even more.

Perhaps it's just the way it is?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
yeah, i guess thats just the way it is, your computer should be able to work, but you might wanna defragment your computer and then it might work

spotanjo3

I use project64 1.6 for N64, and Zsnes windows version 1.51 for SNES. I have a pretty decent computer, 2+ghz 1g ram 256mb vid card (Rage). Anyway, I saw a lot of other people complaining about video issues. All my MAME roms seem to work great and flawless. But when it comes to the console emmu's, they all seem to have some glitches that hinder the 'smoothness' of graphics. Even the Sega emu (gens) that I use has these same problems. The main problem is, when the character moves or jumps, the screen scrolls depending on which, and the graphics seem to flicker. What I mean is, portions of the graphics background scenery disappear for a split second and seem to 'shift' into the correct position if the character stops moving. I didn't fool around with any graphics settings on anything. I figured I'd look and/or ask before I messed it up even more.

Perhaps it's just the way it is?

I have been around them for emulators our pc and never had a problem. He is right that you might need to defrag but mine never used the defrag, thought.

fabianscorpio

I'm not sure that the defrag is going to make a difference. The computer was recently re-done so that all that is on it is games, installed one after the other. Sure, some things got moved around here and there, but the HD is fairly sequential at this point.

Note that this happens to some games, not all games. Perhaps some games are just imperfect that way. Disappointing, but it didn't cost much. :happy:

Could it be the refresh rate that is causing the problem? It would make more sense. ?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Could it be the refresh rate that is causing the problem? It would make more sense. ?

That was my first guess when reading your original post. Flickering and/or tearing and stuttering that weren't present in the original games are usually due to refresh incompatibilities between the screen you are using and the emulated systems native output.

fabianscorpio

Castlevania for the snes. I think it was the one with a title behind it. I remember seeing the flames 'shifting' around as I jumped and moved.

Sorry for the delay. My provider was down. :(

Is there a refresh rate that it should be set to? IF that is the problem.

I'm assuming that I should have the computer screen resolution set to whatever the mamewah background image is. Would this be correct? Also, should I have all the layouts set to display the same resolution? It would seem like common sense, but I'm asking anyway.

Thanks.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
In terms of Mamewah it shouldn't really matter as Mamewah will generally jump resolutions on the fly (this has no bearing on the emulators it launches, just the mamewah backgrounds). The only benefit from having all your backgrounds set at the same res is that switching between emulator gamelists is instantaneous rather than the short black screen you get when mamewah switches between backgrounds with different resolutions.

As far as your system is concerned its normally the refresh rate that causes the problem. You can try enabling things like synch refresh options and such in whichever emu's your having problems with. If you are using an LCD monitor they are usually fixed at a refresh around 60hz so can't be adjusted. With mame, try enabling triple buffering.

fabianscorpio

Funny thing is, I never had any problems with any MAME games. They all work great! Where can I post my cabs and emu specs? :)

Thanks for the help. What kind of monitor works best then? A new flat screen? Can't I just go into my video card options and change the refresh rate?

fabianscorpio

SNES - Daffy duck.

That one the background graphics really seem screwed up and flicker alot. I tried various video setting with no luck.